Chapter 71: Sirens in the Field

Aside from the lights on the car, the house was very, very dark. It looked so dead. Memories of me first moving into the place came back to me and it felt like forever. Part of me wished it would have stayed like the first day and that none of this happened. 

Rose didn't waste any time.  Taking my hand she gently grabbed my hand to help me out. "What are we looking for?" She asked as I hopped out of the car, painfully walking towards the place. She left the car lights on so we could see.

"Anything. Pictures. Something that can tell me where this place is. The crows. Something!" 

Rose stopped when I got to the steps. "Wait!" She ran back to the car. When she came back she had a lighter in her hand. 

"Does it work?" 

She flicked it a few times. "It's full. We're going to need this. 

I looked at the door. It was already cracked open. I felt a cold slap of air hit me, making me shiver. I stepped inside, finding nothing to be in shape. Everything was broken, ruined, destroyed. The couch, the TV, utensils all over the place. It's as if someone ransacked the place. "I can't see much," I told Rose.

"We probably won't find anything in here, Olivia. You sure you don't know where this place is. It's a plain field, right? There's many of those here. If your mother has been there, and Sunny, do you think you've seen it once? Perhaps with Sun-"

Rose froze. She nervously began looking around. "Do-do you hear that?" She asked.

"No," I said.

"No."

I heard it. Another voice. A voice that sounded weak, old, and very familiar. The car light went off, leaving us in the dark. "Shit," Rose panicked. I heard her flickering the lighter, desperately trying to get a fire. It finally came on after two flicks. I saw Rose's face, but I also saw something from the corner of my eye. I could tell Rose saw it too.

She swung the fire in the direction of whatever we saw. We saw an old woman who's face was dripping maggots, the mouth hung open as it would rot off her face. It was Shayla. "Get out of my house," she moaned in a dark, terrifying house. Her arms and legs swung towards us, seeming as if she'd fall any moment. 

Rose and I ran out of the house and towards the car, however, we started hearing sirens. "Oh no," Rose stopped me. "We can't get in the car. The cops are probably after you for leaving the hospital."

We ran past the trees, seeing the cop's car lights bob up and down from behind us. Running. Running. I didn't stop running...even though it was hurting.

The night seemed to go on forever. My head felt light when I couldn't run anymore, so I slowed down and sat on the ground, holding my head. Rose tried to lift me up, but she couldn't. DeJaVu. I felt.  There was no light except the moonlight. I looked around, not knowing what else to do.

 I couldn't go back home. Not at all. The game was up, and there was no going back. The thought felt automatic. Like I had thought this same exact thought. Then I remembered. I had seen my mother here once. Once on the moonlight, telling me to join her.  I got back up and looked around. Down the road, past a few more trees was a place where lots of trees were cut down and a field where hay stacked laid. Somewhere in the distance, I head a crow.

"There!" I pointed. "That's the place."

"Come on!" Rose grabbed my hand.

We ran across the street and to the field, looking around. Crows lingered around us. We couldn't see them but we could hear them. Rose got the lighter. "What now," she looked at it. "We just set this on fire? It's huge. We will get in trouble!" 

"But if we don't destroy the field, my mother will always come back. And more of us will die," I told her, taking the lighter. 

Rose shook her head. "I feel like this isn't going to work, Olivia." She snatched the lighter out of my hand, holding it tight.

"Rose!" I yelled.

"There are farms over here," she said. "and if that fire spreads more places will be affected."

"We're saving people!" I yelled, stepping towards her, but she backed away every time I stepped toward her.

"There has to be another way!"

The two of us couldn't say anything else. We heard the sirens approaching us. This time, we didn't have time to run. "Don't move!" We heard someone from a speaker. Several cop cars soon surrounded us. However, that wasn't the worse part. 

Behind Rose, I could see a figure emerging from underneath the ground. A few crows flew out from underneath the ground along with this figure then flew over us. Rose turned around, but she didn't look exactly at what I saw. 

"What is it?" She asked, raising her hands in the air as flashlights were aimed at us. "What are you looking at?"

"You don't see her!?" I panicked. The crows cawed so loud that I could barely hear the cops in the background. 

My mother laughed a wicked laugh, staring at me with hate in her eyes.

"Rose, please. Give me the lighter!" I opened my hand. "She's here. My mother, she's right there!" I pointed using my other hand.

"I don't see anything," Rose said, clutching onto the lighter.

"Looks like you're out of time," my mother smiled.