i just want to go home

~ 'you're retiring!' i yell in the small classroom.

~ the old man sighs. 'not retiring just moving to another state, they offered better pay and business for me dan.'

~ i try to make my eyes deceive me as i read his lips. i know i don't act like it, but mr. farkle is actually kinda cool. he doesn't report me when he catches me stealing from the kitchens or skip my daily classes.

~ 'that's why we started to bring new trainees in, to see if you bonded well with any of them.'

~ 'well i don't so you have to stay!'

~ he doesn't speak anymore as he packs the things from his desk in a cardboard box. i think he was buying time to think about how stupid this decision was.

~ 'we're all out of options dan. we'll bring in two more people to get to know you personally tomorrow and whoever fits you best is going to be your new trainer.'

~ i almost passed out in my seat. no. i sign. this just requires 3 fingers. your middle, pointer, and thumb. all the rest are closed as you connect middle and pointer to your thumb.

~ he sighs. 'dan come on, don't be like that. i'm getting old anyways, and your antics make me feel even older.' he chuckles but i'm not laughing.

~ looking at his watch he suddenly picks up his box. 'i have to go home, they gave me a time limit to pack up, i'll be back tomorrow to see you off.'
goodbye. he signs which is the same way everyone does it. folding down your fingers to your palm and then opening them again.

~ 'bye' i mumble. and then he leaves.

_____

~ 'hi! i'm nancy and i'm so glad to be meeting you today!' the cheerful lady says. she was young. probably like early 30's and had long straight black hair.

~'nice to meet you.' i say politley as i look towards the exit.

~ 'so i'm not that good at sign so.... okay?'

~ her hair had covered her face for a split second when she turned her head so i didn't see the middle part.

~ 'sure' i say anyway.

~ then she starts digging in her purse for a few minutes. i had no clue what she was doing. all i could think about was how badly wanted to go home and eat my feelings away. i snap back to attention when she sets a big white book on her lap and flips it open to a marked page. then she starts signing something.

~ 'i don't know what you're saying, i only know the modernized version of sign.'

~ 'don't you know the alphabet?'

~ dON't yoU kNoW ThE aLapHAbeT????

~ ' i do but i mostly use asl so i only spell out names and not full sentecenes. also i think you messed up some things.'

~ her cheeks go pink and i feel a bit bad for putting her down so quickly but i could tell how inexperienced she was. like how she would turn her head when talking and had to look out a book. it was like she just woke up one day and decided she wanted to trian a deaf person and didn't have the proper schooling about what to do in the presence of one.

~ 'i like your tattoo though. it's badass." it was in all honesty, it was like a person with the head of a phone. it was very deep.

~ she looks down at it . 'um thank you.'

~ a buzzer buzzes from overhead as a signal of the end of the interview. i wave her goodbye and it looked like she was about to cry. i hope mr. farkle was watching from behind that door and noticing how none of these people could survive when dealing with me.

~ and then he walks in.

updates will be this weekend also :)

~ alivia