the optimist

~ when he walks in the room his cheery smile made me sick to my stomach.

~ 'hi! i'm phil, what's your name?'

~ 'dan.' i say as he keeps direct eye contact with me. you can never trust anyone that does that. his eyes were a bright blue too which made the stare feel even stronger as he shakes my hand in a bone crushing grip.

~ 'do you prefer asl or just speaking?'

~ i shrug. 'i don't care.'

~ 'how long have you been here? sounds like you're bored.'

~ 'not long, i just want to go home so i don't have to deal with happy people.' i look him dead in his face as i say this.

~ his smile doesn't budge. 'mr. farkle told me that we were about the same age so i hope if i'm picked for trainer, we'll get along just fine."

~ great. we got a optimist on our hands. 'yea i'm pretty sure we will.' and then i pull the fakest smile in the universe.

~ 'i'm 20 because i know you're curious and i think he told me you were 18?'

~ i snorted. 'i'll be whatever age you want me to be sir.'

~ 'come on, i'm not that old am i?'

~ 'old enough for me to call you dad and not in the kinky way.'

~ i really just wanted to make him upset or mad but he never budged with his jet black hair, pearly white teeth, and shockingly blue eyes. he was so... clean. that there had to be something wrong with him.

~ he laughs. 'ah you have a funny sense of humor that's cool.'

~ 'do you ever get upset?'

~ 'i don't remember a time when i actually was, i like to look on the positive side of life.'

~ 'the glass is half empty, change my mind.'

~ 'i wonder, did you start acting like this when you went deaf?'
~ 'it was my own fault that i went deaf so i'm actually not complaining about it. i just like being sad sometimes.'

~ he smiles. 'i could change that.'

~ 'good luck with that sir.'

~ then the door opens and out pops mr. farkle in all his grey haired beauty. he had a giant grin on his face as he claps his hands together. 'you're 10 minutes over time.'

~ phil checks his watch. 'oh really? wow time does fly when you're having fun.'

~ 'that wasn't fun.'

~ d.a.n. mr. farkle spells out my name and gives me a mean look, shaking his head. oh i will miss this cute elderly raisin.

~ sorry i sign back giving him my best sad puppy look.

~ phil turns to him and starts to talk. i focus my eyes on his lips but it's obvious he's talking in a different language from english. the way his mouth opens and closes is more tight and compact. then i look at mr. farkle and he too was responding back in the same language.

~mr. farkle's first language was french. oh well played you guys. well played.

~ they shook hands and then he waves at me. 'bye dan. it was nice meeting you.'

~ when he leaves. i sigh and put my arm over my eyes. then i feel a tap on my shoulder and i peek out an eye to see my trainer signing me.

~ go he signs as he points in the direction of the door, then points at himself. me. then holds up two fingers . two or too. sometimes we do lazy sign to each other and it's really understandable.

~ 'okay.' i say. 'have fun in your less crummy place with a better student than me.'

~ 'dan, no matter what, you will always be my favorite.' he smiles. i miss you. he had pointed to himself then put his point finger to his chin before shaking his hand twice like he was getting rid of something.

~ me too. i sign back. and i really would.

~ then he walks out my life forever.

i have a brain freeze from my slushie send help

~ alivia