Father's Day

"Peter Alan Tyler," Rose told the Apocalypse a few hours later. "My dad. The most wonderful man in the world, born 15th September, 1954. He was always having adventures. That's what Mum always says. So I was thinking, could we . . . could we go and see my dad? When he was still alive?"

The Apocalypse frowned, sitting up in the captain's chair. "Where's this coming from all of a sudden?" she asked.

"All right, then," Rose sighed, looking away. "If we can't, if it goes against the laws of time or something, then never mind. Just leave it."

"No, I can do anything, if it includes seeing my surrogate father," the Apocalypse told her, cracking a small grin. "I'm just more worried about my surrogate sister."

"I want to see him," Rose told her firmly.

The Apocalypse stared at her before nodding, standing and moving around the console. "Your wish is my command. But be careful what you wish for."

***

"I, Peter Alan Tyler," Pete was saying as the Apocalypse and Rose watched from their seats in the wedding. "Take you, Jacqueline Angela Suzette Prentice - " He cleared his throat, and the Apocalypse and Rose shared smirks. "I, Peter Alana Tyler, take you, Jacqueline Suzanne Suzette Anita - "

"Oh, just carry on," Jackie to the registrar. "It's good enough for Lady Di."

"I thought he'd be taller," Rose whispered, and the Apocalypse sniggered quietly under her breath.

***

"He died so close to home," Rose said as they entered the TARDIS again. "Nobody was there. Mum always wished there'd been someone there for him. I want to be that someone so he doesn't die alone."

"November the 7th?" the Apocalypse asked.

Rose nodded. "1987."

The Apocalypse nodded, her telekinesis flipping levers as she punched in the coordinates, and the time rotor started up. After a few wheezes, they landed, and they exited the TARDIS. Rose looked around with a small smile. "It's so weird," she whispered. "The day my father died. I thought it'd be all sort of grim and stormy. It's just an ordinary day."

"The past is another country," the Apocalypse replied. "1987's just the Isle of Wright." She eyed her. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yeah," Rose replied.

They walked a little ways down, before Rose held out an arm to stop the Apocalypse. "This is it," she told her in a whisper. "Jordan Road. He was late. He'd been to get a wedding present, a vase. Mum always said 'that stupid vase.'" She watched a green van emerge from around the corner. "He got out of his car," she continued, watching as the car stopped. "And crossed the road." She swallowed. "Oh, God, this is it."

As Pete Tyler got out of the van, she felt a hand clasp her own. She looked down before smiling softly at the Apocalypse, who nodded encouragingly. Pete began to cross the road when a beige car swung around the corner, heading right for him. Rose closed her eyes and turned into the Apocalypse, hearing the crash and the shattering of the vase. "Go to him," the Apocalypse whispered. "Quick."

Rose swallowed, shaking her head. The Apocalypse pulled her around the corner, and they sank down the wall, the Apocalypse holding Rose tight as the sirens approached. "It's too late now," Rose whispered. "By the time the ambulance got there, he was dead. He can't die on his own." She looked up. "Can we try again?"

The Apocalypse looked at her before taking a deep breath and nodding.

***

The TARDIS parked in another space, and the Apocalypse lead Rose to the corner, a little bit behind their past selves. "Right, that's the first you and me," she said. "It's a very bad idea, two sets of us being here at the same time. Just be careful they don't see us. Wait till she runs off and she follows, then go to your dad."

"Oh, God, this is it," the first Rose whispered.

"I can't do this," the current Rose said.

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to, but this is the last time we can be here," the Apocalypse told her.

Rose watched the other car swing around the corner, then made up her mind, standing up and racing forward towards her father. "Rose, no!" the Apocalypse shouted.

Rose kept running when suddenly the gold and silver portal of her sister appeared in front of her, and she stumbled through it, realizing what had just happened, and she crashed back into the Apocalypse, who grabbed her tightly to keep her from running off again as the car hit Pete. "Don't move," the Apocalypse hissed as their past selves looked around in confusion before fading away. When they were gone, the Apocalypse looked at her pointedly. "Go to him," she repeated. "Quick."

Rose stared at her before nodding and running over to her father's side. "It's me," she whispered to him as the Apocalypse ran to talk to the driver, who had stopped when he saw there were witnesses. "I know you probably don't know, but it's me, your Rose." She blinked back tears. "That over there? That's my big sister, the Apocalypse. Caly, for short. She gave me a look at you before I ever knew you." She sniffed as he looked at her in awe. "I just wanted to be there with you," she sobbed.

"Thank you," Pete breathed, brushing a lock of her hair out of her eyes, then looked over her shoulder at the Apocalypse, who had walked over somberly as the driver called for an ambulance. "Thank you for letting me see my daughter."

"You're welcome," the Apocalypse replied, crouching on the other side of him and taking his hand and cracking a small smile. "My surrogate father."

"My surrogate daughter," Pete sighed, brushing his thumb over her knuckles.

Both women just sat there, the Apocalypse on her heels, Rose on her knees, waiting as they held Pete's hand as he died. When he did, Rose closed her eyes, and the Apocalypse stood up, holding out her hand. Rose took it, and the two of them headed back towards the TARDIS. "Peter Alan Tyler, my dad," she whispered. "The most wonderful man in the world. Died the 7th of November, 1987."

The Apocalypse squeezed her shoulder as they entered the TARDIS as the wail of ambulances started behind them.

***

The Apocalypse would have been able to stop Rose from pushing her father out of the way, so yet another incident with the Reapers avoided. But with "Fire With Fire" . . . we will get the full "Father's Day" incident.

But, aww! :( Pete recognizes the Apocalypse as his daughter, even if she really isn't in the family. I had to put that in there. They're becoming so close.

I know this is a short chapter, but I promise the next one will be longer. It will not be "The Empty Child." It will be an interlude, and we finally get to see . . . Woman Wept! :) I hope you guys like it. The Apocalypse will also explain why she stopped Rose, and we'll get the whole paradox thing.

"Planet of the Ood" is next!