13 North and South

13 North and South

Michael Kaplan paced. He paced the chamber floor unwilling to admit to the worry he felt over the length of time his youngest and only remaining son had been gone. He had been gone too long, of course, anytime Avi was away, he was gone too long. At least when he went North, East or West for hunting, trading, training, and diplomacy he remained in lands where all manner of foe, beast or otherwise were known. Even in the untamed land that surrounded their home. Avi was safer than most. He was a seasoned hunter and a skilled warrior but, he had never gone South through the mountains before. He went south, south through the pass, beyond the mountains and down into the valley where many a creature roamed, and enemies were unknown. Of the ones that were known, there were some very nasty ones.

He cursed the gods, cursed them with his whole heart for taking his first son away to the southwest wilderness and the coastal waters of their land on his quest and now he cursed them again for taking his youngest child away to the South. Would he too meet whatever fate it was that kept his eldest son from returning to claim his place among their people? He did not know. He could not know. He hated not knowing.

So little was known of the rugged lands of the South and the lands that lay between the near unpassable, high ice-capped mountains and the Southern Sea. Only the truly brave or completely stupid ever ventured there. He didn't consider either of his sons to be stupid in any sense of the word. Both of his sons possessed the agile senses and grace of a warrior, the wit and wisdom of a sage and the compassion of a benevolent God. They excelled at everything they applied themselves to. They were both natural born leaders, full of kindness, compassion, and intelligence. That left him feeling overwhelmingly proud.

Joshua, his oldest son, excelled at fighting, hunting, and diplomacy. He had the gift of gab, he was especially good with a blade, better with two, recalling all that he heard and finding a way out of situations that were favorable to all parties involved. He had watched his son grow from a babe to a young man under the careful tutelage and tender loving hands of his wife and daughter. Josh never really applied himself to learning, but was dedicated to pleasing his mother, so he learned books well anyhow. He had a way with animals and people alike, both seemed naturally drawn to him. He had a fair hand and a gentle heart. It was the Kaplan way.

Avi, on the other hand, absorbed everything that was thrown at him with youthful exuberance. He was equally exceptionally skilled with both his blade and his tongue. He was extremely well spoken when he had to be and very well learned. When he didn't have his sword in hand, he held a book. And when neither was available, he held his lute. This greatly pleased his mother. He had a penchant for spending hours hidden away in the gardens or the wilds. He was no doubt communing with the land, the birds, and the trees. He was as obedient and strong-willed as any child ever is. He listened carefully and took his time before responding to others, weighing his words wisely. Mike loved the way Avi did almost everything.

After Josh didn't return from his journey, Mike latched onto Avi, not wanting to miss a moment with him. He spent as much time with the boy as his busy life would allow. He missed the sound of his youngest son's sweet voice echoing down the halls as he sang. He missed the long afternoons in the sun or out under the trees just living with Avi by his side. He missed listening to Avi think out loud as he reasoned things through and watching him practice with his blade. He missed Avi. That was it plain and simple. He missed Avi and he missed Josh. He missed his sons. They were so vastly different yet so much alike. Josh with his fair skin and blue eyes reminded him of his wife in his appearance. Avi with this strange eyes and deep Brown hair resembled him as did his daughter with her chestnut hair and Brown eyes. He missed his sons. The more time he spent with Avi the more he found that his son had many lessons to teach him, lessons in humility and honesty, patience and kindness, trust, love, and faith. His young son was simply amazing, and he greatly missed him. His son had been called south, south beyond the mountains and into the unknown. And so, he worried and longed for his return.

The land was divided by a large mountain range that spanned from east to west in an arc. The range was vast and the peaks so high that passage from the North to the South over land was only possible in one or two places. The passes were treacherous, riddled with all manner of beast, steep and snowy climbs and fall that would no doubt be the end of you. This natural barrier cuts off the tribes of the North, fishermen, hunters, and warriors, from the peoples of the South.

On the continent of Kadozél, humans were known to live in all the outer areas of the land. They lived in the north, dominating it with their presence, and the southern, western and eastern coasts in small coastal cities. That left a vast area of unexplored land between. The wilderness was mostly uninhabited by humans and believed to be wrought with magic, danger, and strife. It was rumored that the Faye lived there among the trees, in the deserts near the edge of the mountains and on the islands dotted all around the land as well as on a large island across the water at the edge of the world.

The South lands were dangerous, filled with magical beast, pitfalls, and other unknown things. From the base of the mountains down to the ocean there were many different types of lands boasting creatures that a young man from the North would know nothing of any dangers the likes of which he had never seen. A threat could very well pose as a friend and he would not know it for the danger it was. Mike worried greatly over his son and his fate.

His people, the people of the North, were a commanding, broken, as a community, and divided, but powerful people. If the tribes of the North ever united under one banner, they could successfully thwart any enemy, man or beast that came down from the mountains to threaten them.

Life was hard on the plains north of the mountains. There were plenty of threats to face living there. Avi was educated and well versed in each one of them, a tried and tested warrior, small by the standards of his people but fiercely powerful. Mike knew Avi could and would survive on his own in the wilds of the North. What he didn't know was how he would survive south of the mountains, which was where he went. Mike's heart longed for his young son and worried over his fate constantly.