f o u r

"Your Majesty-"

"No. I am done with meetings. I'm done listening to those government officials whine about everything I haven't given them. I'm not going back." The queen snapped. She turned around and came face to face with Jace.

"Oh! Mr Herondale-"

"Jace."

"Right. Jace. I didn't see you." The queen said.

"Well, I was wondering if you would like to go for a walk around your field with me. Maybe vent about your meeting, get some of that 'insufferable' attitude out of your system." Jace offered. The queen smiled and nodded.

"That sounds nice." She said smiling. Jace held out his arm and the queen took it.

"So, tell me about the tragedy that was this meeting." Jace said. The queen sighed.

"They can't seem to agree on anything. I've never seen five people argue so much. They all want something and can't agree on what's most important. And when I try to offer a suggestion, I get shut down. It's so frustrating. So when I make decisions, someone ends up getting upset." The queen said. Jace nodded.

"I see. Well what do you think the most important things are?" Jace asked.

"Healthcare, and education, and making sure that people can afford their lives, and safety, and making sure people have jobs, and our police force, and making sure everyone has enough to eat, and making sure there's clean water, and manufacturing, and transportation. It's all so important." The queen said. Jace nodded.

"I see where you're coming from. Is that what you said at the meeting?" Jace asked.

"Of course." The queen said.

"And what did the government people say?" Jace asked.

"They asked what was the number one priority." The queen said.

"And you said?" Jace asked again.

"I said I couldn't narrow it down when everything was so important." The queen said. Jace smiled.

"And that's your problem." He said. The queen sighed and looked at Jace.

"Tell me about your life." She said.

"What?" Jace asked.

"You know, what's your land like? What's your family like?" She asked. Jace was silent for a minute and the queen looked at him.

"Well, I'm from New York City. So there's buildings everywhere. There are huge skyscrapers and there are theatres and buildings everywhere. There are really nice parks and the subway." Jace said.

"What about your family?" The queen asked. Jace sighed.

"Well my parents died a few years ago in a car accident. That's when I started getting really interested in taking things apart and building new things. So I started building planes. And then I decided to fly around the world. My younger sister Amelia was worried that something would happen. But I didn't listen. So I left and then the engine died and I crash landed." Jace said. The queen nodded.

"Okay your turn." Jace said.

"What?" The queen asked.

"I want to know about your life, and Atlantis, and your family." Jace said. The queen nodded.

"Okay. Well long ago the Atlantians were on good terms with the humans. My father the king of Atlantis and my mother was a human. They fell in love and they got married and had me. Then they fell out of love. And then my father declared that no human would be allowed in Atlantis ever again." The queen explained. Jace looked at her.

"Then why are you letting me stay here?" Jace asked.

"Well, you have no way to leave yet. And I can't exactly put you on a plane. People would notice and there'd be a mutiny and I'd be dethroned and then killed." The queen said. Jace nodded.

"That's why you don't want me working on the plane, isn't it?" Jace asked.

"Yes. In Atlantis, everyone knows everyone. And someone like you, well, you'd stick out. They'd know that you're not from here. And there'd be a mutiny." The queen said. Jace nodded and the queen looked at him.

"Your Majesty-"

"You can call me Clary. Almost everyone I know calls me 'Your Majesty'. Magnus is the only one who calls me by my first name. But he does it very rarely." The queen said. Jace looked at her.

"Then why don't you ask other people to call you Clary?" Jace asked.

"I've tried. There's a reputation that has been kept between the royal family and the people who work for them." Clary said.

"So it's a respect thing?" Jace asked.

"Yes. Isabelle, and Simon, and Magnus, and Alec are like my family but there is still the respect they have for the royal family." Clary said. Jace looked at her and she stopped.

"Do you miss your sister?" Clary asked. Jace nodded.

"Yeah. I miss her. I'm worried about her too." Jace said. Clary sighed.

"Look, I'm going to have Alec bring your plane here so that you can work on it and get back to your sister." Clary said. Jace looked at her.

"Wait, what are you saying?" He asked.

"I'm saying that you can go home. You can go and see your sister." Clary said. Jace smiled and hugged her. Clary gasped in surprise and hugged him back.

"Are you serious? You're going to let me go back to my sister?" Jace asked again.

"Yes. Alec will bring the plane back here where you can work on fixing it. When you're done, you can go home." Clary said. Jace smiled.

"Thank you." He said. Clary smiled and looked at him.

"Well, I'm heading back inside, it's getting cold, and I have to tell Alec what's happening with your plane." Clary said. Jace nodded and Clary turned around and walked back towards the palace

+++

"Alec! I need you to bring Jace's plane back to the palace so he can work on it." Clary said. Alec and Isabelle looked at her.

"Why?" Isabelle asked.

"He wants to go home and he can't if he doesn't have a plane." Clary said, walking up the stairs.

"Your Majesty, what's really going on?" Isabelle asked.

"Nothing! We both know that if anyone outside the palace finds out he's human, there will be a mutiny. I'll be dethroned and killed. I'm trying to get him out of here." Clary said.

"You're falling in love with him." Isabelle said.

"What's are you talking about?" Clary snapped.

"You're falling in love with the human and you're getting him out of here before you fall even more in love with him." Isabelle said. Clary glared at her and Isabelle backed down.

"I'm not in love with the mundane. That's absolutely ridiculous." Clary said. Isabelle nodded.

"Of course not Your Majesty." Isabelle said.

"I'll make sure to bring the plane back." Alec said. Clary nodded.

"Thank you Alec. You're both free to go." She said before turning and walking up to her room.