s i x

The days before the gala passed quickly. Isabelle stood behind Clary, with a brush in her hand.

"Isabelle, you don't have to do this. I can do my own hair and makeup." Clary said smiling.

"I know Your Majesty. But it's more fun." Isabelle said. Clary laughed as Isabelle ran the brush through her hair.

"Up or down?" Isabelle asked. Clary looked in the mirror.

"Up." She said.

Isabelle nodded and started to pin Clary's hair up. There was a knock on the door and Isabelle walked over and opened it. Jace stood on the other side. Clary smiled and he walked in.

"Your Majesty, you look lovely." Jace said. Clary smiled.

"Thank you." She said.

"Your Majesty. Which one?" Isabelle asked. Clary looked at the selection of crowns and tiaras and pointed to one closer to the top.

"That one." Clary said. Isabelle nodded and grabbed the tiara before walking back to Clary and securing it in her hair.

It was a simple tiara encrusted with amethysts and diamonds. There was a matching necklace around Clary's neck and there was earrings and a ring made of amethysts on Clary's hand and her ears.

She stood up and walked towards him.

"Mr Herondale! You're not dressed?" Isabelle asked.

"Isabelle, calm down. I'm not either." Clary said. Isabelle sat Clary down and started her makeup.

"To what do I owe the pleasure Mr Herondale?" Clary asked, as Isabelle started moisturizing her skin.

"No reason really, when exactly does this ball start?" Jace asked.

"7:00. Why?" Clary asked.

"Just wondering." Jace asked. Clary nodded and he left.

"He likes you." Isabelle said.

"What? No he doesn't." Clary said.

"He does Your Majesty. Why else would he just "pop in"? It's because he likes you!" Isabelle said excitedly.

"Even if he did. It's against the law." Clary said. Isabelle sighed and continued.

"You could change the law." She said. Clary sighed.

"Not really. It isn't that simple." Clary said. Isabelle shrugged and continued to put product on Clary's face.

+++

"Oh my, Your Majesty, you look stunning!" Isabelle squealed. Clary smiled and did a quick turn.

"It's beautiful." Clary said.

"Mr Herondale is going to love it." Isabelle said smiling.

"I'm not dressing up for Mr Herondale." Clary said. Isabelle nodded.

"No, of course not, Your Majesty." Isabelle assured her, handing her a pair of silver high heels. She helped Clary step into them and Clary smiled.

"Perfect. Could you run and ask Alec if everyone is here?" She asked. Isabelle nodded and walked out of the room. Clary sat at the vanity and looked in the mirror.

"Your hair..."

"Sorry, I normally keep my hair up. It's more professional." Clary said. Jace couldn't look away.

"It's beautiful." He said. Clary smiled and started to pin her hair up.

"You should leave it down." Jace said abruptly.