e i g h t

Clary watched from her balcony as the plane climbed higher into the sky. Tears spilled down her face and she felt her shoulders shaking. Isabelle touched her shoulder and hugged her tightly.

"You're in love with him, aren't you?" Isabelle asked. Clary nodded and Isabelle hugged her tighter.

"He'll be okay. He'll come back. I'm sure he will. But you have another problem right now. He's here. And you're going to stop him okay? Then we can worry about Jace." Isabelle said. Clary nodded and looked out over her land before walking inside.

"Is everyone out?" Clary asked.

"Yes. All the guests have been evacuated and the citizens are almost completely evacuated. Then Simon and Alec will come back here." Isabelle said.

"And what about the staff? Where are they?" Clary asked.

"They're in the safe room. Alec and Magnus and Simon and I will be right here beside you though." Isabelle said.

"No. Absolutely not. You are to go down with everyone else. He's not going to touch you." Clary said.

"Your Majesty, we're your most loyal subjects. Where you go, we go." Isabelle said.

"Not this time. I won't have him hurt you." Clary said. There was an echoing bang on the front door and Clary gasped.

"Isabelle, go. Tell Alec and Simon not to come back." Clary said. The banging got louder.

"But Your Majesty-"

"Go!" Clary said. Isabelle ran down the hall and Clary turned to the door as it broke off the hinges. She heard a cold laugh and shivered.

"There she is!" A cold voice said.

"Jonathan." Clary said.

"Hello baby sister."

+++

Jace had touched down in the middle of an empty field. He was walking circles around his plane in a panic.

He heard a twig snap and his head shot up. Two younger children came tumbling out of the woods, followed by their mother.

"Come along you two. Her Majesty says we need to get away from the palace." Their mother said.

"Why?" Jace asked. The woman and her children stopped.

"Pardon?" The woman asked.

"Why do you need to get away from the palace? What's happened?" Jace asked.

"Her Majesty's older brother has returned. He is a terrible, awful man. She is the only person he truly loves. He does awful things. She's been working for years to keep him away from her kingdom." The woman said.

"If he's older then why is she queen?" Jace asked.

"His Highness is a tyrant. Before her father died, he crowned her queen. His Highness has spent his entire life trying to take the throne from Her Majesty." The woman said.

"He wouldn't kill her, would he?" Jace asked.

"There's no one His Highness loves more than Her Majesty. He'd do anything to keep her safe. But he's desperate for the throne. I believe he'd do anything to get it. Even kill Her Majesty." The woman said. Jace felt his heart drop and sighed before running back in the direction of the castle.

"Where are you going?" The woman called.

"To save Her Majesty!"

+++

"Look at you baby sister. How's your little kingdom doing?" Jonathan sneered. Clary glared at him.

"And where's your little boy toy? Oh wait... didn't you send him back to New York?" Jonathan said.