Chapter Eight: "The Shining" Challenge

A/N Again, in case you didn't see the announcement I posted on my profile, I am NOT writing out the whole Aech interacting with The Shining. That part scares me way too much and I almost ran out of the theatre when I saw that. I'll put the scene when we get to it and you can just imagine that Hunk's freaking out (let's be honest, if I was actually cool with that, that would've been so funny to write).

Blue, H4des, Chef, Paladin and Rover all ran into the Alfor Journals screaming "We figured it out!". The Curator looked at them in annoyance and confusion, but he was curious as to what's up. 

"Alfor kept track of every movie that he ever watched, which was probably very difficult," Blue looked out to the group. "The week and the year he watched it, and how many times."

"How the hell did he do that!" Rover rubbed their head in confusion, Chef patting her shoulder in comfort. "Anyways, Curator, can we see November 23 to 27, 2025? That was the week he went on the date with Luna." 

The movie archive, which was very large (to no true Alfor fan's surprise) and Curator used some sort of light to pick out the movies from that week. H4des read through the options around them, but only a couple of them truly made sense for an actual date itself. "We gotta remember the clue: "A creator who hates his own creation." The group all looked at the movie options, wracking their brains to try and figure it out. But the moment Blue spotted "The Shining", he knew the answer. 

""The Shining"! It's Alfor's 11th favorite horror film and it's based on the best-selling book by Stephen King!" Blue/Lance looked to H4des/Keith as he spoke. "Who hated the movie!" When Blue looked away, unknowst to him, but Keith was giving him a very sweet smile, with having no idea as to why. 

Chef sighed and placed his hands on both their shoulders. "Hey! No side chitchat! What is happening right now?" Lance smirked and threw the movie case towards the Curator. The robot avatar caught it and was just left confused. Not only that, but he also looked a little fearful at the film. 

He cleared his throat and his expression turned back to emotionless. "Are you positive you want to go here?" His voice was more monotone than usual, but there was no time for the others to question it. Blue nodded and Curator sighed. "Let's just hope you have the belly for it." The ground moves underneath them and soon come upon a theatre with the headline of "The Shining: Watch if you dare." 

Chef gulped nervously in the background as they all ran inside. Instead of the inside looking like a theatre, it looked like the building from the film (A/N I have never seen the original film and my sister said it was terrible). On the table in front of the staircase, was a typewriter typing only in the shapes of keys. Rover took a look at the stack of papers and it appeared to be how much time they had to look for the key, which was only about five minutes. 

Quietly, Chef pulls Paladin a little bit aways from the group, so that Blue wouldn't kill him on the spot. "I've never seen "The Shining". Is it as scary as they're making it out to be?" He asks the cyborg avatar.

Paladin just laughs very nervously before answering the question. "I'm not usually someone that gets scared watching movies, but I watched most of it in between my fingers...." This answer only scares Chef even more, if Paladin, one of the bravest people he knew, was scared of this movie, he was done for. 

Chef gets pulled out of the freezer while H4des and Blue took off running down the hall. "Dude, I'm pissed at you! You've never even seen The Shining!" Blue panted while they ran. 

"You know I don't like scary movies!" Chef yelled back in his defense. (A/N Same cinnamon roll, same) They turned down the hallway and Paladin and Rover caught up with them, all of them getting put back together, after a certain someone ran off like an idiot. Chef, Blue and H4des debated whether or not to even go in room 237. But as they were running, Chef mentions that he saw a picture of Luna, causing everyone else to stop. Which led to them all falling over because Chef was big and had run into them. With a groan, H4des asks where exactly did he see it. 

The big avatar takes them back to the hallway that he was in earlier, which had a large group picture that was ripped, which had separated Luna and Alfor away from each other. H4des puts the picture back in its original place, while he pieced things together. "Escape your past. The leap not taken." Blue could tell that his gears were turning. "Alfor's biggest fear wasn't The Shining or any book or movie. His biggest fear was kissing a girl." Lance could feel a blush spreading to his face, he knew what that felt like. The only difference was that he was after a guy instead. 

They soon heard jazz music being heard down a little away, which none of them understood. H4des opened the door and a ballroom full of floating dancing zombies could be found inside. Chef smirks at Blue at the sight of the zombies, in which the shorter avatar just rolls his eyes. H4des points to a woman that stands out in the crowd, it was Luna. Blue was confused. None of this was from the film, but H4des brings up that it was the zombie-circle level in Mayhem Mansion, one of Alfor's first games."

Rover takes a look as to how many pages there were now, and they only had one minute left before they had to get out of there. None of them how to get to her, except for H4des. 

He leapt off the cut off floor and landed on top of a zombie lady, who ended up falling into abyss. H4des glances at the zombie that he was now dancing with in disgust and took off to keep getting to Luna. Blue, Chef, Paladin and Rover are literally pulled out of the game while H4des was still trapped inside. The purple avatar managed to finally get to Luna, but ending up beating up zombies in the process. Luna got up and with an annoyed groan, he asked her to dance. It was nothing against her, even though she was dead too just not here, he just wasn't really into girls. "Do you know how long I've been waiting for you to ask?" Luna responds and then becomes pixelated, becoming Alfor's avatar. 

"Well, you found my Jade Key," He leaned closer to H4des. "Imagine that." He holds out a hand and the key floats up to H4des. 

The young purple avatar takes it and takes a moment to look around. "She was very beaut-"

"Go." The avatar looks away sadly and takes off to the exit. There was no doubt about it, Alfor regrets not taking his chance.