Chapter 41 - Choosing Each Other

As we pull up at the mansion, I feel like I'm housing a whole damn zoo in my stomach

As we pull up at the mansion, I feel like I'm housing a whole damn zoo in my stomach. I find some relief in the fact that I can't sense Alex here, meaning I have some more time to relax and think about what I'm going to say. A wave of nostalgia washes over me as I take in the beautiful mansion, walking up the white marble steps to the ornate front door. I have lived here, cried here, loved here and almost died here. It most certainly will always be scrapbooked into my memory. As I enter into the grand palace, my dad with his arm wrapped around me, we encounter a shocked Vincent.

"Phoebe! I thought I could sme... hear you!" He gasps, an easy smile gliding onto his face smooth as butter.

"Hi Vincent. I've come to see Alex... oh and this is my dad, Ricky." I explain hastily.

"Oh that's real great Phoebe. He should be back soon. Hi Ricky, would you like me to show you around?" Vincent easily charms my dad.

"Yea sure, nice to meet you. Take it easy Phoebs, and just call me if you need any help." My dad nods respectfully.

Vincent and I connect eyes, him silently telling me to go to him, and me promising to do my best. As my dad and Vincent go off exploring, I decide to go wait in Alex's bedroom for him. I try not to think too deeply of the connotations for the place. I travel up the stairs to the third floor, where I know Alex's room to be. My hand starts to tremble as I reach out for the golden handle, finally forcing myself to just push it open.

The room is dimly lit with only a few streaks of golden sunlight twinkling in through the haphazardly shut curtains. I gently take a few steps into the doorway, amazed that I've never been in here before. A golden chandelier hands from the ceiling above the massive king sized bed, big enough to fit five full-grown men in it. The soft white bed sheets are wrinkled and messily made, leaving me to think that maybe Alex doesn't let the maids into his room. Also, there is absolutely no trace of his erasthai! Coming to think about it, I haven't sensed her in this house at all! A feeling of victory washes over me, helping me to relax. This thought pleases me more then it should, as I like the fact no other girl has been in here apart from me. At least I hope I'm the first... I move further into the room, my feet sinking into the heavenly thick grey carpet, with red diamond patterns embroidered into it. Gently I collapse onto the bed, feeling myself sink further and further into heaven. Two oak bedside tables with shelves climbing up the walls sit on each side of the bed, decorated with trinkets and a vase of flowers each.

On the opposite end of the room there are two small grey armchairs facing a gigantic TV, as well as a floor to ceiling bookshelf next to the door leading to the lavish bathroom. A small pile of clothes accumulating dust is gathering on one of the armchairs, and the magazine worthy closet is in equally as bad a shape. Noticing another door blending in with the golden walls, I venture over to it, impressed when I see it holds a fully stocked bar and a few kitchen appliances. If this were my room, I would never leave!