Chapter 23

"What happened?" Allison asked as her Lydia, and Scott ran into the hospital. Scott noticed Stiles had a few stitches in his forehead too, his eyes drifting to Isaac who sat next to him. He also had some stitches but by the looks of it, they weren't from the accident. "What happened?" Allison asked again.

Stiles remained silent, his arms crossed over his chest as he sat in the waiting room. Derek sighed, glancing at Stiles as he realized he wasn't going to talk. "A deer ran into us. Car crashed and and the deer hit Emma. She was talking before the ambulance took her. She'll make it" he said quietly, a very small bit of doubt in the back of his head. 

A tear slipped down Stiles's cheek as he sniffled. "I wasn't looking where I was going" Stiles whispered, his voice hoarse from crying. Scott crouched down in front of his friend, forcing their eyes to meet.

"Stiles..." Scott started, searching for the right words to say to make his friend feel better. "Derek told me over the phone what happened. It wasn't your fault" Scott tried, watching as Stiles only shook his head.

"It was then and it is now." Scott's heart sunk when Stiles referred to his mother's death, which Stiles had always put on himself. Scott's eyes stung with tears as he stared at Stiles who was on the verge of breaking.

"Stiles" Scott tried again, desperate to make him feel better. Stiles just shook his head, ending the conversation between them. Scott stared at him, waiting for him to change his mind. But when he didn't, a tired sigh escaped Scott as he stood up and sat down next to Allison. 

They didn't know how long they waited there. Allison fell asleep leaning on Scott's shoulder, Lydia falling asleep leaning on Allison's shoulder. Isaac fell asleep head propped against Derek, who had begun to drift off into sleep. He kept his eyes pried open, watching Stiles who sat perfectly still. Stiles stared straight ahead, arms crossed over his chest, his face blank. Occasionally a tear ran down his face, resting on his chin before dropping down onto his shirt. He didn't move to wipe it away either, just letting it be.

Derek was awakened by Stiles tensing up, his heart rate increasing as well. He opened his eyes and elbowed Isaac, signaling for him to wake up. Melissa walked up to them, a clip board gripped tightly in her hands. Stiles immediately began fidgeting, staring down at his hands. "How is she?" Stiles asked, his voice small. 

"She's...okay" Melissa responded quietly. "The surgery went well. But she's out. If she can wake herself up I think she'll be alright" Melissa explained to the sleepy but now fully awake pack.

"And what if she doesn't?" Stiles croaked as Melissa sighed heavily, biting her lip.

"I don't know" Melissa whispered, uncertainty tugging on Stiles' heart. "But it won't be good". The pack seemed to suck in a giant breath as they all went silent. "I'll let you guys visit with her. It's only supposed to be family but it seems you're all she has"

"Wait guys" Scott interrupted, grabbing everyone's attention. "Deaton just texted. All the cats, are dead. They killed themselves" Scott shook his head in disbelief as everyone's face contorted into something like confusion. "Just like the deer" he whispered.

"Why are all the animals going crazy in Beacon Hills?" Melissa asked as Stiles noticed a worried look come across Derek's face.

"Some say animals can predict danger, or natural disasters. I guess that applies to super natural disasters too" Derek finally spoke, the anxiety in the room beginning to suffocate Stiles. He stood up, taking a deep breath in.

"I'm going to see Emma" he announced. Everyone nodded as they stood up to follow him to her room. It was a long, quiet walk down the hallway, uncertainty clouding all of their minds. They reached the door, Stiles being the first to enter. He walked to the side of her hospital bed, placing a hand on hers. She lay still, her skin pale compared to the blue hospital gown. Small cuts were scattered around her face, the main injury hidden under the gown.