Escaping Fate

"You don't love me," I said, hoping that she didn't mean it and that it had just slipped out. She shook her head and her face turned red.

"How are you going to tell me who I love?" she demanded, shoving me into the wall.

"Fine then," I said, not sure of what I should say next.

"So that's it?"

"I don't know how I feel right now." She planted a kiss on my cheek.

"It's going to be okay." Blood rushed to my face, making me slightly pink.

"How can you say that? You know it's not true. My life is hell right now," I yelled. She slapped me across the face with the back of her hand. My eyes widened as I rubbed where she'd hit me.

"You don't think that my life has been hell as well? Do you know how screwed up my life is? A drunken git for a father, a dead mother… Even though I'm with Bella, I still feel out of place. Like I don't belong. You know?" I was still shocked, so I said nothing. "I'm sorry." Then she left me where I stood.

The holidays were just three days away. I'd started packing up my things. I wouldn't be coming back. Thankfully, I was able to Apparate. I'd passed the exam and was registered to do it. Not everyone had the approval. I wondered if Liana did.

It pained me every time Liana looked at me. By the look in her eyes I already knew that there were things that she wanted to say, but couldn't bring herself to say them. Finally, I couldn't take it. Every time she saw me, she went the other way. I figured this was a better approach than avoiding me completely.

I hid in the broom closet one night, waiting for her to pass. I knew that she'd had dinner with Slughorn and the rest of his stupid club. This was the hallway she always took to get back to the Ravenclaw common room. When I heard her humming, I opened the door and pulled her inside with me. She started hitting me and screaming. "Calm down," I said, putting a finger to her lips.

"What are you doing?" she asked, still not smiling.

"Come with me," I said. "I can't be without you. I need you in my life, Liana."

"Okay," she said softly. "Why wouldn't you let me come the other day?"

"Because . . . I care about you too much to let you go."

"Are you sure?" I rolled my eyes, the way she usually did.

"I wouldn't say it if I wasn't sure," I said, pulling her in for a long kiss. "What about your family?"

"They'll be fine without me. Maybe one day, I can tell Bella everything and explain. What about yours?"

"What about them?" I spat. "The only person that cares is my mother. My father is in Azkaban. And the rest of my family members are insane."

"I care," she said.

"We'll leave the day after tomorrow," I said. "Bring everything you need with you. Listen to me, Liana."

"I'm listening."

"You have to do as I say. We mustn't falter. Do as I tell you to and we'll be fine."

"Okay." I hugged her and kissed her forehead.

"I'll see you later. Good night," I said before leaving to go to bed. I was exhausted. I collapsed on my bed. Blaise was up reading some book.

"It's all over school, you know," he said. "You and Liana's breakup… I hear that Pansy's going to seduce you and get you to sleep with her."

"She's mental if she thinks I'd ever shag her again," I said, pulling on my pajamas. "I need a vacation."