Patiently Waiting

One month later…

HARRY POV

Pansy was still nowhere to be found. According to the Prophet, neither were Malfoy and Liana. I’d just given Draco’s owl, Terry, a letter to give to Draco. I was walking side by side with Ron. “Do you think Terry’s being followed?” asked Ron.

            I shook my head, though I couldn’t be too sure. “I’m sure if Terry was being followed, someone would’ve found out where Malfoy and Liana are by now.”

            As Ron was about to say something, we turned the corner. Unfortunately, Professor Snape seemed to be waiting for us, his lips pursed together. “Oh my,” he said. “I do believe that it’s ten minutes after curfew, Mister Potter and Mister Weasley.” He looked as if he was going to walk away. He made a face that I supposed was a smile and added, “Fifty points from Gryffindor.” Then he simply turned on his heel and disappeared down the corridor.

            Ron and I scowled at the same time. Ron’s face grew pale as we walked back to the common room. “Do you reckon he heard us?”

            I’d completely forgotten about the possibility that Snape might have heard what we’d said. And I’d been stupid enough to say their names out loud. I slapped my forehead, angry at myself. “I don’t know. Let’s sure hope not.”

            “Hermione will be furious,” Ron said, grudgingly. He approached the Fat Lady. “Fizzing Whizbee,” he said.

            “Must you be so loud?” she hissed and swung open for us. I shrugged and followed Ron inside. Hermione walked up to us, with Ginny at her side.

            “Why do you look like you’ve seen a ghost?” asked Ginny. I wasn’t sure if the question was directed toward me or Ron. None of us had told Ginny about where our classmates were. I wasn’t sure if we should. It wasn’t that I didn’t trust Ginny. It was just that it was bad enough that the three of us knew. And I could’ve possibly ruined everything if Snape had, indeed, heard what I’d said a few moments ago. “Well aren’t you going to say something?” she asked, raising her eyebrows, just as Hermione was.

            “I’m just tired,” I lied. I couldn’t possibly sleep, especially not with what had just happened.

            “Hermione, could you help me with my Potions essay?” Ron said, changing the subject. Hermione nodded, but I could tell that she wasn’t satisfied with my answer. I also knew that she wasn’t going to push it. Not tonight, at least.

            “I suppose,” Hermione said, her eyes glued to me with concern. “This is the last time I’ll help you.”

            “But I’ll fail without you,” I heard Ron saying as he walked off onto the other side of the common room.

            Ginny was still standing in front of me, eyeing me with curiosity. I scratched my head. “Well, er, goodnight Ginny,” I said and hurried away into my own dorm room. As soon as I’d gotten upstairs, I noticed the room was empty. When I heard footsteps coming up the staircase, I already knew that it was Ginny.

            Before I knew it, she stood before me with her arms folded across her chest. “Did you really think I was going to buy that?” she asked.

            “Well, I was hoping—” I started.

            “Are you going to tell me what’s going on?”

            “I wish I could,” I said. “But I just can’t. You have to understand.”

            I saw hurt flash in her eyes and she turned away from me. “I don’t understand, Harry,” she said. When she turned to face me, I saw a single tear run down her cheek. “I don’t understand you at all. I told you how I felt about you and you pushed me away… Will you please tell me how you feel? I have to know that much, at least… Since you won’t tell me what’s on your mind.”