𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

Revolution in the Night | Chapter Five

"Papa?" Adélie called into the small flat as she pushed the door open.

She had left the brothel not long after the man, her heart broken, feeling almost empty inside. Beté had given her the money that he had paid, along with her blue dress, her cloak, and her satchel. "Remember, dear," Beté had said, noticing the sorrow within the young girl's eyes, "what you did does not define who you are."

Walking out into the streets of Paris felt like a whole new world to the girl. She felt as if she had been trapped for two days straight, and it felt good to get out, away from the negativity that she felt within the brothel. She wanted so badly to forget about him. But those eyes, those eyes that were so very pensive and mysterious and alluring, would not leave her mind.

But she would never see him again. She knew going into it that it would just be a fling. After all, that's why he had come there. It was a brothel, not a place to fall in love. And the love that she had thought she felt was replaced with a hatred so deep, she would give anything to have an opportunity to hurt him as he had hurt her. The thought of him walking out that door made her heart hurt so terribly, she wanted nothing more than to make him feel that same sort of pain. She wanted to make his heart break as he had made hers.

"Papa?" Adélie called out again, trying to sound joyful despite the sorrow that she felt. There was no reason to feel the way that she did. She had money now. She would be able to pay rent. They would be able to live another month in this flat, giving her another month to find a job. Why shouldn't she be happy? After all, that man meant nothing to her. As Beté had told her, what you did does not define who you are.

The brown haired girl guessed that her father must have been asleep, so she went to his room, pushing the door open. She felt her breath escape her as she saw what awaited her in the room. Her father laid on his bed, his eyes wide open, his skin pale and almost blue, his muscles limp and arms hanging over the sides of the bed. He was dead.

"No," Adélie exclaimed, the tears that she had been holding in for so long finally falling. She felt as if she couldn't breathe, as if every thought in her mind failed as she looked at him.

This was their fault. If she had been given a proper job, she would have been able to pay for a doctor. Her father would still be alive. She had to do something, if not for herself, than for her father.

The brown haired girl wiped at the tears under her eyes, glancing down at the ground, her mood a stark contrast to the sunny day above her. The late May day was warm and humid, the first in weeks of straight rain.

Adélie took a handful of dirt, spreading it into the grave that held her father. She had used all of the money she had made the past two nights for an immediate burial for her father, in the cemetery beside the church. After all, she no longer needed the money, or that big of a flat when it was just her.

She turned to the priest standing beside her, the only other person at the burial. She had no one, no one left to comfort her, no one that she could tell her sorrows to. She hadn't even told him what she had done, and that guilt was something that she would live with forever.

"He is in a better place now," the priest spoke softly, and that was all it took for Adélie to fall to the priest, her tears never ceasing as he wrapped his arms around the girl, rubbing her back in comfort. "It will be alright, child. Your father was a good man, a friend of mine and many others. If you ever need anything, just remember you are always welcome in the church."

"Thank you," Adélie whispered between the tears, pulling away slowly and straightening out her dress, glancing at the grave one last time. "I love you, papa."

She thanked the priest one last time, turning from the cemetery and leaving down the cobblestone path. She didn't know what to do now. She had no meaning, nothing to live for. She felt as if she would be better off dead. She could be with her father again.

Adélie walked along the path of the bridge. Tonight, she would return, when there were no other people around. Was death really the answer? She did not know.

But there was nothing left on earth for her. She couldn't get a job, to make her feel fulfilled. She couldn't find love, and the only joy that she did have in her life had left her.

Adélie glanced at the water below her, the rushing of the waves so loud she couldn't even hear her own thoughts. She turned, continuing down the path and around the corner into the square. Suddenly, she heard shouting from the square, and quickly looked up to see a crowd of people. A voice, so familiar, shouted from the center, and she pushed her way through the crowd to center.

Her heart stopped when she saw what awaited her, her eyes connecting with two very familiar blue ones.

v v short filler chapter but I hope you all are enjoying it so far! Let me know what you think!