can i be him (19)

an// i was going to wait til wednesday to post this... but i have zero patience

so here ya go!

ps. listening to the songs makes it 1000000% better, take it or leave it :)

_________________

"we have rehearsal today right?" Kaycee asked sean as they stood together at her locker.

"yep, miss janelle says she has a new project for the class." sean replied, his eyes not meeting hers, his hands glued to the insides of his pockets.

It had been a few weeks since Gabe had started school with them, and ever since, sean had seemed distant with her. She had missed Gabe so much, not having seen him for years, and she was excited for him to meet Sean, one of the most important people in her life. Sean had known how important both of them were to her, how she had wanted nothing more than for them to get along, but every time Gabe showed up, sean seemingly disappeared into thin air. It wasnt just his physical absence that made her heart contract, but also his lack of emotion. Before Gabe arrived, sean and her could talk about anything, and they had, but now... it seemed as though he had frozen himself off of the world, not unnoticed by julian.

~~~

"julian, i just dont know what to do, or what to think. Its like hes disappeared." kaycee cried over the phone, her eyes filling with tears.

"he used to be like this kayc, closed off, cold to everyone around him. I was the only one he would really talk to. But then something happened." julain replied, his voice full of pain for the girl on the other end of the line.

"what happened?" she said softly, dreading the answer.

"you." 

kaycee hung up the phone, her cheeks now glistening with silent tears.

~~~

"Kaycee?" Sean said, awakening her from her daze.

"Sorry," she replied, closing her locker door as they walked down the hall towards her class. A few weeks ago, he would have asked her what was wrong, what she had been thinking about. Now he continued on as if nothing had happened.

"KK!" a call sounded from across the hallway, Gabe suddenly appearing.

"hey gabe." Kaycee said quietly, the sight of him no longer bringing her joy, only a reminder of the change within her best friend. She turned around, to find sean gone, whisked away from her like a feather in a windstorm.

~~~

They were in the drama room, Kaycee positioned in between tate and bailey, Sean was seated further away, but still within view.

"so today, I wanted to start a new project with you guys." miss janelle said, her eyes landing on kaycee, giving a slight smile, one kaycee could swear was filled with sympathy. "ive noticed some tension within the cast, and we cannot be successful if we dont communicate with each other." she looked around the room, everyone nodding in agreement. Kaycee stole a glance towards sean, only to find his eyes glued to the teacher so strongly it was as if he was holding himself back.

"so the plan is, I want everyone to find a song, one you can relate to, one to help explain how you're all feeling." miss janelle stated, her hands placed gently on her upper thighs. "a week from today, everyone will perform their songs. Any questions?" 

The room was silent, after a few moments their teacher rose to her feet, making her way back to her office. 

~~~