Chapter 11 Love or Hatred?

I went to bed that night for the first time since I came to the capitol, full, and ready for sleep.

I guess that you could say that I felt happy, lonely, but happy. I missed Cato, but I still didn’t know if I could trust him.

I went down to training early again the next morning. I kept away from the rock wall, but I did use the rest of the obstacle course. I wasn’t too bad, I could climb well as long as it wasn’t too high. I tried not to use the weapons today, at least not until the other tributes were here. I still have to keep up my reputation you know.

After an hour of training, I grabbed a cup of water and sat down to drink. I somehow knew that he was coming up behind me, so I didn’t jump when I heard his voice in my ear.

“Clove? Can we talk? Please?” He asked quietly.

I sighed, turning around to face him. “Sure, Cato, what do you want to talk about?” I asked, trying to keep my emotions hidden. I didn’t want him to know how much I missed his company.

“I want to try to make you understand what happened between me and the District 1 girl.” He said, moving to the other side of the bench and sitting down next to me.

”Okay, I guess that we can talk about it.” I said softly, keeping my eyes downcast. What I meant when I said those words however were. No! Please! I don’t want to know! I was afraid that I would hear something that I didn’t want to. I didn’t want to know the truth if it could hurt me anymore.

He reached over, trying to grab my hand, but I pulled away, still refusing to look at him.

He pulled his hand back, looking hurt.

“Okay, well, I really want you to know that first off, she was the one that made the move, not me. I swear, I was just shocked, I couldn’t move Clove, I swear, I feel nothing for her. You’re the only one that I care about.” He said still trying to catch my eye, but I wouldn’t let him.

The conversation went on for a while, but I soon realized that there was no way that I couldn’t trust him. But I let him continue talking.

“Please, Clove, will you forgive me? I love you more than anything in the world, you are my world Clove, my little four leaf clover. Please I-“ I cut him off, turning and planting a long, lasting kiss on his lips. When I finally pulled away he looked shocked, like he didn’t believe that I would do it, and I gave a wry smile.

“Yes,” I murmured quietly, searching his eyes.

“What?” He asked, still in shock, and I laughed,

“yes, I do forgive you, and I love you too, Cato.” I smiled, giving him another quick kiss.

“You don’t know how much I missed that.” I murmured, standing again, “Come on, let’s go practice.” I took his hand, and lead him towards the survival skill stations.