Chapter 27 (part 2)

2317 words

Me and Kev drive to school blasting the music and laughing. Once we got to school Betty and Archie were sitting on the couch in the student lounge while Veronica was sitting in a chair beside them. Me and Kevin walk into the room, Kev sits in the chair across the table from Ronnie and I sit on the arm of the same same chair.

Right away you could feel the tension in the room. "Why is this suddenly feeling like a friendtervention?" Veronica asks. Archie and Betty look at each other awkwardly and then back at Ronnie. "I overheard Mr. Blossom say that he's the one responsible for your dad being arrested and put in jail." Archie says in a sorry voice.

Me and Kevin look at each other confused. "Are you kidding? Why would Clifford Blossom have anything to do why he's in prison?" Veronica asks.

Suddenly the bell rings telling us that our first period was starting. We all get up slowly and go to our separate classes.
********
As I'm walking down the hallway to lunch I look down at my phone for a second to check the time when I realize the date.

Oh my god. Tomorrow's Jughead's birthday.

For a moment I get excited thinking about what movie we would go see together until I realize that I probably won't be the one going with him to the bijou this year. My smile fades and I put my phone back in my pocket.

I get to the lunch room and sit down with my friends. And Betty. "Hey guys." I say as I sit down. Archie smiles at me. "Hey girl." Veronica says. "Betty you were sayin something about Jughead's birthday?" Veronica continues.

"Yeah. Just that Mr. Jones told me Jughead's never had a birthday party." Betty says. Me and Archie just nod because we already had known this. "Lets have one for him! Like a low-key surprise party." Betty says excitedly. "Mm-mm no." Archie says, "Hell no." I say. "That's an amazing idea!!" Veronica says.

"No. Jughead doesn't like his birthday." Archie says, "Yeah, there's a reason he's never had a party. And it's because he hates them." I say dragging out the 'h' is 'hate'. "Everybody says that nobody means it." Kevin says. "Jughead's a lone wolf." Archie says.

"Okay, ignoring the negativity. Betty you know me. Any excuse to wear a cute party dress." Veronica says. "Yeah." Betty replies. "So I'm thinking a quaint gathering. Inner circle only." Veronica says and Betty nods her head in agreement.

Out of the corner of my eye I see the one and only Chuck Clayton walk into the cafeteria. "Oh my god. Don't turn around." Kevin says, obviously noticing him as well. Archie picks his head up a little more to see what is happening while Betty and Veronica do a full 360 completely ignoring Kevin's directions.

"Holy Chuck. I think he's lats got bigger. Not that I care because he's the devil incarnate." Kevin says. I roll my eyes at the sight of him. "What's Chuck Clayton doing back?" Archie asks. "He got suspended, not expelled." Veronica says annoyed. "He should have been fucking exiled for what he did to all those girls." I say. And everyone at the table does some sort of sign to show that they agree.

Betty gets up from her seat and begins walking over to Chuck. "Oh my god." Veronica says. "Betty Wait-" I say but she's already gone. All of us stare as Betty and Chuck talk, not being able to hear anything. "I'm not going!" We hear Betty shout all the sudden.

"What was he doing? Accosting her?" Veronica asks, "No he was...apologizing." Betty says, "my ass." I scoff. At the same time Veronica says "oh I'm so sure" and we look at each other. "Chuck Clayton doesn't have a contrite bone in his muscle-bound body." Veronica adds

"You know what? Can we talk about something else? Like Jughead's surprise party." Betty says. All the sudden she looks down at her hands, almost to examine something. "Betty?" Veronica asks noticing it too.