8. First Night

Day 1, Afternoon

Jean POV

With slight difficulty, I got our tent pitched and grabbed our bags, putting them inside and then getting out the two sleeping bags to lay them out. There wasn't all that much space in here, barely enough for the two sleeping bags and our backpacks to keep them out of the weather but it would have to do. I backed out of the tent and looked around our little clearing with my hands stuffed in the pockets of my pants as I waited for (Name) to come back with the firewood. She appeared out of the woods a moment later and walked over to the tent, dropping her stones and sticks in a pile before taking off her ODM gear so she could sit down and get to work making a fire pit for us. "I guess I'll go try my hand at the stream for some fish?" I suggested and she looked up at me with a bright smile and a curt nod. "Yeah, I'll try to have this all set by the time you catch something."

I walked over to the stream and peered into the clear water for a moment, smiling when I spotted a few large fish among some smaller ones and quickly went back to our tent to dig around in our bags for the fish trap we had been supplied with in case we found a stream or river. I found it in (Name)'s bag and brought it out to the stream to get it set up then went over to her to wait a while for something to hopefully get stuck in it. I sat down next to her and grabbed a few rocks, helping her place them around the edge of the shallow ditch she'd made for the twigs. "There! All done. What should we do now?" She asked me, standing up and dusting some dirt off her white pants. "Might be a good idea to go search for some edible plants and fill up our canteens." I suggested and stood as well.

Day 1, Evening

Reader POV

After eating a meager dinner of small fish and some wild blueberries we'd found, Jean and I just sat by our small fire and watched as the sun set over the tops of the trees. It was a little chilly but the fire put off enough heat to at least be comfortable once the sun was gone and it was actually dark. I leaned back in my spot next to the fire until I was laying down in the soft grass with my hands folded under my head, looking up at the stars. "It sure it pretty out here with nothing but trees around, yknow?" I said quietly, just loud enough for Jean to hear me over the crackling of the fire.

He turned his head to look down at me then back up at the sky. "Yeah, it really is. You ready to hit the hay?" "Mm. I guess so. It has been a pretty long day. I'm gonna go to the bathroom first though." I said, sitting back up with a little grunt of effort before pushing myself to my feet. "Don't go too far, it's a new moon tonight so it's gonna get really dark really soon. I'll be in the tent." Jean said, standing up and kicking some dirt over the fire to put it out before he headed into the tent and left me to walk off to relieve myself.

It didn't take long and I hadn't gone far enough to get lost so I was back to the tent within about two minutes. I crawled in and carefully zipped the tent door closed before blindly getting into the empty sleeping bag next to Jean. "Goodnight, Jean." "Night." He said, shifting in his sleeping bag until we slept with our backs against each other. I sighed lightly and pulled my sleeping bag a bit tighter around myself as I tried to fall asleep in the eerie quiet of the forest. The only sounds were the running water of the stream and the occasional rustle of leaves in the wind, and, after a few minutes, Jean's quiet snoring. Despite the calming effect the formerly mentioned sounds had, I just couldn't get to sleep.

I don't know how much time passed, but it felt like forever and eventually I huffed and turned over to face Jean's back, getting one arm out of my sleeping bag to reach over the short distance and poke his shoulder. "Jean... Hey, wake up." He groaned in his sleep and rolled over to face me before he actually mumbled a grumpy response. "What d'ya want?" "I can't sleep." "Why'd ya wake me for that?" He got out just before a large yawn escaped him. I heard him heave an annoyed sigh when I didn't respond but felt an arm drape over me a second later, pulling me to his chest. "Just go t'sleep, please?" His words got muffled a bit in my hair as he tucked my head below his and just held me there.

Something about sleeping like this with Jean gave me butterflies in my stomach but at the same time I felt very comfortable. His slow and steady breaths tickled the hair on the top of my head and his body radiated warmth even through our sleepingbags. I hesitantly snuggled closer to him and closed my eyes, deciding that I should at least attempt to fall asleep again. Between the warmth he put out and his arm securely around me, I found myself drifting off to sleep in spite of my nervous butterflies.

Day 2, Daybreak

I woke up just as the sun was starting to cast an orange glow over the midnight blue night sky and I carefully slipped out of Jean's grasp and the tent after grabbing the bar of soap and sponge from my backpack. Jean likely wouldn't wake up for another hour or two and I needed a bath. I hadn't taken one before we left yesterday and I felt rather gross and lucky for us, we managed to find a camping spot with our own little stream that would be just deep enough to bathe in, as long as I did it downstream from where our fish trap was set up.

I picked a spot near the edge of the clearing where there was a large, flat boulder that I could put my clothes on to keep them from getting wet and started to strip when I reached it. I cast nervous glances back toward the tent every so often as I undressed, worried that Jean might wake up and come out of the tent even though I knew that was highly unlikely at this time of day. He wasn't a morning person at all. Once I had all my clothes off and set aside on the big rock, I stepped into the frigid water of the stream, biting my lip to suppress a whine at the sudden cold shock it gave my body. Well, if I hadn't been fully awake before, I was now. I waded into the deeper part of the stream and lowered myself more into the water so that I could get my entire body wet before beginning to use the soap and sponge to clean myself up.

Jean POV

I woke up when I felt (Name) pull herself out of my arms and dig around her things in the tent but I didn't open my eyes, too groggy and tired to really care. She was probably just going to get changed or something so I should be able to go back to sleep for a little longer. But quiet humming a few minutes later caught my attention and I opened my eyes, rubbing them as I sat up in the tent. (Name) didn't hum... Was that really her? If so, what had her so happy so damn early in the morning?

With an annoyed grumble, I crawled out of the tent and stood up, stretching my arms up over my head with a large yawn before looking around the clearing for the source of the humming. I froze to my spot and stared with wide eyes when I scanned the stream and there she was in the water a little ways downstream from the trap we set up. It took a moment for the scene to process in my sleepy brain but when it did, I felt my cheeks heat up with an intense pink blush but I couldn't tear my eyes away as I watched her humming happily while she washed her naked body...