Chapter Two

~Enji's POV~

It had been a week since my run in with the strange transfer student. She plagued my dreams at night and occupied my thoughts throughout the day. The gossiping about her hadn't died down in the slightest. It appeared to have gotten worse, now people were attacking her for being poor and someone had started a rumor that she was a whore. I never saw her speaking to anyone aside from teachers. The only students that approached her were mindless boys with one thing on their mind.

As our homeroom teacher began roll call, there was a knock at the door. Everyone glanced over as the door opened and the school guidance counselor stepped into the room with an emotionless Meliara in tow. Her plaid skirt was still a little shorter than permissible and she had dark makeup around her bright blue green eyes, again, not at all listening to the various policy violations I'd told her she'd committed. What was she doing here?

"Sorry, I didn't mean to barge in during roll call." The Guidance Counselor apologized.

"It's alright, it's perfect timing really." The teacher smiled before turning to address the class, "Everyone, I'd like you to welcome Meliara Black to our class. She recently transferred here from The United States and began her academic journey here in the second-year class, though she appears to be quite gifted so we're moving her up to the third-year class." He turned to her with a warm welcoming smile, "Would you like to tell us all a little about yourself?"

"No." She replied softly causing the teacher to blanch slightly at her unaffected response.

He laughed nervously and tried again. "How about why you moved here from The United States, that must have been a big change. What brought your family here? Anything exciting?"

Her blue green eyes filled with pain, "My parents died, my uncle, my only living relative, lives here. That enough excitement for you, Sensei?" She asked in a monotone, her face an emotionless mask.

The teacher paled at this, "I'm so sorr-."

"Can I sit down now?" She interrupted him. Her demeanor was cold and void of emotion.

"Ah, y-yes." He cleared his throat and looked to me, "There's an empty seat behind Todoroki. Ah, please raise your ha-."

"We've met." She shrugged and trudged down the aisle before dropping into the seat behind me without looking at anyone.

After that awkward and uncomfortable introduction, our teacher finished roll call and looked as if he were going to hit the bar after school. We made it through the first half of the day without incident. Meliara didn't make a sound, she barely moved, at one point I wondered if she was even breathing. Was she even here? Or did she use her quirk to duck out and leave her body here on autopilot. A few students whispered and passed notes back and forth, their contents, no doubt, the new transfer student. Whenever I chanced a glance behind me, she'd avoid meeting my gaze and pretend to be paying attention. I caught a glance at her notes and saw that she'd already completed all of the assigned work we'd been working on and was now drawing an illustrious, somewhat macabre, picture on a blank sheet of paper. It was an old dusty mausoleum with a beautiful couple waltzing through the crypt.

As the lunch bell rang, the other students scrambled out of their seats. A few girls approached her as she continued drawing away not seeming to have noticed that class had ended. Their intentions weren't as nice as they were pretending, I'd caught a glimpse of one of their notes, they wanted to invite the girl to lunch and torment her.

"You're Meliara, right?" A girl with dark brown hair and light brown eyes smiled a fake smile as she stopped next to Meliara's desk. "Why don't you have lunch with us?" She indicated her fake smiling friends.