Chapter Twenty Two

Rei-45

Enji-45

~Rei's POV~

A nurse, who'd become a trusted friend, came to my private suite in the middle of the night to inform me Enji had shown up earlier in the day with a young woman in critical condition. As soon as she described her, I felt my heart leap out of my chest. Mel! I rushed past her and raced down the hall toward the elevators. I had to get to the ICU.

I slid to a stop at the nurses' desk in the Intensive Care Unit. The young woman behind the desk looked up surprised to see me, "May I help yo-?"

"Meliara Todoroki, what room?" I panted softly; I hadn't run so much in years.

The nurse pointed behind me and I turned and bolted into the room across from the nurse's station. Enji was there. He was slumped in a chair at the bedside wearing his hero costume and looking like he'd been here for hours and finally collapsed from exhaustion. At first, I felt a spark of rage toward him wondering why he hadn't sent someone for me or told me himself that Mel was alive. It subsided as I took a step into the room and saw remnants of tears clinging to his cheeks. I couldn't be mad at him. If I'd been in his position, I'd have probably kept her to myself too, until I was sure she'd be alright.

I moved past him and dropped into the chair on the opposite side of her bed. She looked almost exactly like she did twenty years ago. She was thinner and paler but she still looked like she was in her twenties. There were all kinds of tubes, IV's and monitors connected to her. She looked so sick and weak with all of the tubes and IV's sticking out of her. She had a breathing tube to help her breathe, several IV's pumping her with fluids, and all kinds of probes and other devices to monitor her heart rate and other system functions. I caught her hand in mine and held it close desperately praying she'd open her eyes. Tears welled in my eyes as I looked at her pale gaunt frame. From the moment I'd first laid eyes on her, I knew I'd fallen for her. My gaze flicked over to Enji sound asleep with his head resting against the railing of her bed.

I'd never expected to find my true love out of an arranged marriage. Nor did I ever think I'd have to share my true love with another and even develop feelings for him. Mel tried so hard to find a loophole to save my family's fortune so we could pay for my brother's medical fees. She studied laws and scoured the ironclad contract millions of times. She'd spent so much time at it, I had begun to worry for her health. I fell hard for her as she tried so valiantly and so desperately to save me. When she found no other solution, she nearly broke.

"Enji!" Tears streamed down the raven-haired girl's cheeks. My heart constricted in my chest, I wanted to comfort her but I felt like crying too. It seemed there was no hope after all and no matter what, I didn't want to tear the lovers apart.

Enji shoved away from his desk with a sigh and wrapped her in his strong arms. He cradled her in his arms as if he could shield her away from the world and all the darkness within it. "Let it go, Mel, there's nothing we can do." He sighed.

"But...we have to save Rei." Mel sniffled.

Enji looked pained by her tears, "I've already told you, you're the only girl I'll ever marry."

An idea hit me and I smiled, "I have an idea...if you'll hear me out."

Enji turned to me looking surprised to see me, he'd completely forgotten I'd been there. It happened when Mel was around, he only had eyes for her. Mel turned her tear stained face to me and I felt my heart clench. I picked up a tissue and mopped up her face.