Chapter 25

Winter is bitter

----Fiona's POV----
Fiona, however worried about the others she was, was glad to be alone with Klaus. She been longing to be alone with him ever since she had been reunited with the Baudelaires. As they walked in silence Fiona decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to confess her feelings.

They had almost reached the same area of the mountain where they met the avalanche, although neither Fiona or Klaus realised this as the place was so transformed by the flood of snow.

"Klaus," Fiona began, her voice steady and certain.
"Yes?" He replied, still distracted by their journey and his priority of finding the others.
"I need to tell you something," She then proceeded to grab his wrist, forcing him to face her, making sure she had his complete attention.
"Okay..." he asked, a confused expression on his face.
"I--uh, I--" she began but couldn't find the words, so she grabbed the collar of his jacket and kissed him. Kissing him felt good, it felt right. But then it all went wrong, he pulled away, pushing her off him.

----Klaus' POV----
Fiona's kiss was warm and buttery, it was pleasant but it wasn't the same as Isadora. When Isadora kissed him it was soft, and warm and it had a spark, like electricity.

Klaus pulled away and grimaced apologetically at Fiona. Her face fell and Klaus suddenly felt extremely guilty.

"I'm so sorry Fiona--" he began but was interrupted by a sob.

This sob however did not come from Fiona but from behind them.

Isadora.

She was stood with her two brothers to the upper right of Klaus. Each had the same identical expression of shock.

Isadora then turned and fled into the forest of the mountain.

----Isadora's POV----
She and her brothers trekked through the trees for maybe half an hour. They had decided to not stray too far from where they began, so that if someone else were nearby they wouldn't miss them.

Isadora was humming absent mindedly, thinking of a couplet about snow.

The blinding blizzard taking hold, becomes a blasting blight of cold.

She was just thinking of a second verse when she heard familiar voices. She picked up her pace and pulled a branch out of her way to reveal a sight that made her feel sick with betrayal.

Fiona was clinging to Klaus and she was kissing him. Klaus broke away and began to say "I'm so sorry Fiona--" but a loud sob escaped Isadora. She knew that he was most likely going to turn Fiona down before she had interrupted them, and that she was probably overreacting, but she was so overcome with embarrassment and hurt that she turned and fled into the shelter of the trees.

She had been so stupid to think that just because she kissed Klaus first she had declared some sort of ownership. They weren't dating after all.

Perhaps if she ran fast and far enough the whole situation would just disappear. Perhaps she would too?