Masked

3rd Person's POV - 25th February, 2012
New York

Kaneki were finally allowed to go home three days of rest and series of test. In home Kaneki were bombarded by barrage of question from Mr. Hanson since she didn't show up for five days, two are tolerable but five is out of bounds. She tried explaining that she were having a 'sleepover' with her 'friends', Mr. Hanson of course didn't buy it as for some reason he doubted Kaneki had made friends. Thankfully Ms. Hanson or Sapphire as she preferred to be called convinced the old detective that Kaneki indeed have friends.

The situation were resolved and his suspicion of Kaneki were lifted, but eventually Kaneki had to tell them about her occupation and other things about her origin, but that day have yet to come.

Right now there also one thing that were bugging her, SHIELD were too quick to assume Robert's death. Kaneki knew she isn't crazy (maybe), but she's certain that Robert had escaped and she intend to find him. As to where begin she had no idea, SHIELD intel on him were almost nonexistent, even his business partner never met him face to face, all deals are done through middle person, Edel, or one of his goons. The only thing they know comes from a recording of him stating that he's a german or the he used... an Aryan. That statement alone is enough to determine that this Robert fellow is a dangerous one.

Due to SHIELD's lack of intel on him Kaneki decided to look somewhere else, thought she trusted that man as much as one would trust a complete stranger she had no other viable option, Clint seems to trust him so that's something at least.

She opened the door, bell ringing above her as she do. The air around the shop was just like when she first came here, the radio were also playing the same music if her memory serves right. However Ritz were not there, the counter were empty, she's sure that sign said open though. She decided to wait, taking a look at the things inside the shop.

Ritz happen to have quite a book collection displayed in a shelf, some of them seems old, older than Kaneki, there's also several book that could be considered collectors item there. A book caught her attention, its cover are pink with shades of red, the title reads Strawberry Shortcake. At first Kaneki thought it was a recipe book of making such cake but instead its a story book, a short story to be specific.

It tolds a tale about two siblings living in a world after an apocalypse, the older sibling an energetic girl who's intelligence are on par with her curiosity, she would always go exploring, discovering new things, and invent tools and stuff to help on her journey. The younger sibling on the other hand is a sickly fragile boy, always on bed unable to move from there or even do the simplest things such as walk or even stand, but just like his sister the boy's intelligence and curiosity knew no bounds. Thanks to their combined ingenuity, they managed to invent a vehicle that makes the sibling able to travel together around the desolate world. Their adventures had taken them to many places, from blazing desert to chilly ice fields, from lush forest to ruins of concrete jungle, from beautiful plains to industrial wasteland, from perilous mountains to gorgeous canyons, wherever they go they will always be together.

Kaneki were halfway through the story, completely captivated by it when someone suddenly spoke from behind her

"A good book don't you think?"

Startling her as she immediately gazed at the voice's owner, Ritz emerging from the back door. He wiped the stains in his hand with a towel before throwing it inside the back room and closing the door behind him.

"Some old lady sell it to me years ago, said it'll bring good fortune" he said, slowly walking towards the shelf

"Guess she's wrong considering the state of this place" he joked