Prey

2nd June, 2012
Streets of Downtown New York
Nighttime
10:24 PM

It was raining, the air are still and chilling to the bones for some reasons, but it doesn't stop peoples from gatherings in front of an alley.

The place wasn't special, it's just an alley that can be found throughout New York. It's just this particular alley had a police line blocking its entrances, the reason... Someone found a dead body here. Lying on the ground and drenched in blood, and not to mention their unnerving state.

As a certain someone would expect, the one in charge of the case is none other than Lieutenant Matthew Hanson and his partner William Fowler.

Just so, a grey haired detective wearing a brown trenchcoat walked into the scene followed by a slightly younger man in black jacket.

"Evening Matt... Will" One of the officer in uniform greeted them both "started to think you wouldn't show up"

"Had to take a detour, some of the streets still blocked" Matt responded with a gruffed tone

"I guess William here really needs to watch his mouth" the officer joked, earning a disgruntled response from said man

"Will you guys ever let it go?"

"Well, you did get surprised when aliens actually show up"

"Says the guy who almost pissed himself that day"

"Alright, that's enough. We got a job to do" Matt interrupted their heated conversation

Not minding the rain, Matt kneeled down to get a better look
"What do we got here?"

The officer began explaining while the two listened closely

There are two victims in the scene, the first is a man named Manuel Ortiz, a 49 years old cook working in a nearby diner down the street. The second is another man named Carlos Dervin, 33 years old, he's a white collar worker and lives at Bayside, Queens. Nothing worth of note on their everyday lives, just two normal person making their way in big city. The way they died thought was another story...

"There are multiple stab wounds throughout both victim's torso, each varied in size and depth."

"The cook died after receiving a hit right at his head while the other one bled to death. CSI team haven't been able to determine the weapon or objects used to kill them, and there's no witnesses."

"A passerby found them about two hours ago when he was passing by and saw blood leading into the alley.

Matt closely examined the dead victims, true enough there's a large hole right at where the cook's left eye supposed to be, it was clean kill from the looks of it, there's also seven other wounds at his torso. The other one wasn't so lucky, nine large wounds at the torso and strangely not one of them was lethal enough to immediately kill the man.

'Did the killer deliberately avoided vital points? Bleeding the vitctim to death or just pure torture? Then again why did the cook died immediately?'

Matt tried to make sense of the situation but came up with nothing. Out of the blue, Will said something intriguing

"Do you think... She did it?" He spoke with a hushed tone, the both of them were some distance from the other officers but he didn't want to take chances

"No.. I don't think so" it was a half-hearted response

"How come?"

"They still in one piece. If she's the one.... these two would be missing a limb or two"