12 | carrot sticks

Anne was sitting with Newt in the Homestead, the two of them eating their dinner when Minho walked into the room. It had been a couple of hours since the Runners had come back and the doors had closed so why he was here now was a complete mystery to her.

Or it was until he showed her his arm.

"I think I might need some help," Minho said, wincing when he moved his arm.

She got an answer soon enough. There was a large, bleeding cut on his bicep and Anne had a feeling she didn't really want to know how he got that wound. But she did want to know when. Was it while he was in the Maze or after he came back to the Glade?

"Might is an understatement, Minho," Newt said, leaning forward to take a look himself. "That looks bloody horrible."

"Look who's talking," Minho said, a smirk on his lips as he eyed Newt's leg. Newt did not like that joke.

"Okaay," Anne said, breaking up the tension Minho had willingly or unwillingly created. "Let's get that cleaned up."

While she tended to his wound, Minho proved that he wasn't as tough as he let on. He winced and squirmed and attempted to pull his arm away more than once causing the job to be a lot more difficult that it needed to be. But it seemed as though Newt was thoroughly enjoying seeing this side of the Keeper of the Runners. He was trying very hard not to laugh as he watched Minho squirm.

"Stay still!" Anne said, grabbing Minho's arm when he pulled it away while she was bandaging it. He made a face but let her finish her job. Once she was done, Minho walked out of the room, holding his now bandaged arm in an awkward position.

"That was awesome," Newt said, once Minho was out of view.

"You like watching him suffer that much?" Anne asked as she put away the things she had pulled out of the cupboard.

"If you actually knew Minho, you would too," Newt said, taking a bite of his chicken.

Anne washed her hands and sat down on the bed, scooting back so that she was sitting by Newt's feet with her back against the wall. Newt handed her her own plate of food and she took a bite. "Is he that much of a jerk?"

"Not a jerk, actually," Newt said, frowning as he tried to figure out a word to describe Minho. It was proving to be harder than he thought it would be. "He's... Sassy and sarcastic. The chance of you getting an actual answer from him is next to impossible."

"So it is possible?" Anne said.

Newt just rolled his eyes at her, leaning forward to grab a carrot stick from her plate. She tried to swat his hand away but Newt was too fast. He popped it into his mouth, laughing when she glowered playfully at him.

"Here, grumpy pants," he said, holding out one of his own carrot sticks.

Anne reached forward to take it, but he pulled it away from her reach. He held it out to her again only to pull it away from her right when she reached to grab it. He laughed at her annoyance and continued to do so until she finally gave up and leaned back against the wall.

"Okay, okay," Newt said, placing the carrot stick in her plate. "There you go."

Anne watched him lean back against the bed post and quickly reached forward. She grabbed it and quickly popped it into her mouth before Newt could attempt to take it.

Anne found herself watching Newt from the corner of her eyes as he ate the rest of his food. Newt was actually really fun to be around, especially when no one else was there to fuss over him and his leg, making him feel uncomfortable. He was more at ease around her than anyone else. She could tell that much. He may have known the others a lot longer than he had known her, but the fact that she wasn't continuously asking him about his health made him feel more comfortable around her.