Chapter 13: The Third Task

A/N
YAYYYYYYYY!!!!! I FINALLY UPDATED! Thank you all for your wonderful comments, for voting, and for 55k reads! AAAAAAHHHH!!! You guys are the best! I am also internally cringing at how long it took me (SORRY!) but one of my lovely readers sent me a private message a few days back and while I was writing I saw it and it really encouraged me! Now I hope you enjoy this chapter! (Warning: It's sad, but we all knew this was coming.)

Now that Harry and I were on better terms, my life felt simpler. It was, in one aspect. There wouldn't be any more arguing with him, for one thing. But there was something else that I just couldn't put my finger on. I turned my attention to the scene playing out in front of me
Music started playing and the crowd was getting excited. The champions emerged.
"Earlier today Professor Moody placed the tri-wizards cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr Diggory..." Professor Dumbledore was interrupted by the crowd (which included me) that cheered after hearing his name. After they finally quieted down a bit, giving him a chance to speak, he continues.
"And Mr Potter-" He was again interrupted by cheering, which I took part in again.
"-tied for first position they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr Krum..." And cue the Bulgarian crowd going nuts.
"The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants, gather round." I couldn't hear what Dumbledore was saying to them, no one could except for the champions themselves. Cedric hugged his father, and locked eyes with me.
"Good luck," I mouthed to him. He sent me a soft smile, and turned back to Dumbledore.
"On the count of three. One..." The cannon went off. Mr Filch shrugged comically. Dumbledore groaned.
Harry and Cedric entered the maze through different entrances. They were followed by Fleur and Krum. I smiled at my friend, mentally wishing her good luck, as what I had done with Cedric wouldn't work because she was now too far to see me well. The entrance closed behind them. I stared at it, then turned to Hermione.
"What are we supposed to do now, just stare at nothing?" She shrugged. I sighed.
TIME SKIP BROUGHT TO YOU BY UMBRIDGE COVERED IN GLITTER AND OWL POOP
Harry appeared, and Cedric was with him! The crowd erupted into a roar, but I stayed silent. This wasn't right. I squinted at Cedric, and I realized what I didn't want to believe. He was dead. While the crowd was still cheering, I jumped out of my seat and ran down the steps, two at a time. As I got closer, I saw Harry crying over Cedric's body.
"Harry!" Dumbledore called. I reached the edge, and looked over it. It was a fifteen feet drop (I don't think it actually was in the movie but oh well). It wouldn't be too bad. I jumped over it, landing perfectly. I ran towards Harry and Cedric.
"He's back!" Harry was saying hysterically. "Voldemort's back. Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him, not there." I reached the two of them and stood, frozen, before falling to my knees and stroking Cedric's cold cheek.
"It's alright Harry. It's alright, he's home, you both are," said Dumbledore
I heard Amos Diggory shout out in grief.
"My boy! That's my boy!" I clenched my eyes shut, my own grief, plus that of Mr. Diggory and Harry's too much for me. I broke down, silent tears streaming down my face.
"Please don't do this to me, Cedric," I whispered. Harry put his arm around me, and I leaned into him, the two of us mourning over a dear friend.
Time Skip- this time brought by the Amazing Bouncing Ferret
"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded. And most importantly a fierce fierce friend." Dumbledore paused, and took a slow breath. "I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort." My lip trembled slightly at this, but I maintained a stoic expression. "The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not to do so I think would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end." I looked down, blinking away the tears. I knew then that I'd make sure we eventually defeated Voldemort once and for all. If not for Cedric, then for everyone else who we had lost.
Time skip- brought by Snape covered in pink glitter and clothes and hair dyed yellow
"Do you think we'll ever just have a
quiet year at Hogwarts?" Asked Ron idly.
"No," Hermione said.
"Oh, let's hope not. I'd kinda miss the drama. But I do hope that we don't have any more deaths."
"No, Idon't think so," Harry said. Hermione sighed.
"Everything's going to change now isn't it?"
"Yes."
"Promise you'll write this summer. All of you."
"Well I won't. You know I won't!" I smiled slightly, Ron's almost indignant attitude lifting my spirits.
"When Ron writes a letter, that's when the world's ending," I commented lightheartedly.
"Harry and Y/N will, won't you?" Asked Mione
"Yeah. Every week," Harry promised.
"I'll do my best," I said. We looked over the balcony, the flying horses pulling the carriage heading off into the distance. The Bulgarians' ship went underwater. Who would've thought my first year at a new school would have ended with my crush dying? I let a tear fall down as I thought about him.
"I'm sorry," I whispered, almost silently. We never did get to go out to Hogsmeade