CHAPTER 16: Punish Me Instead

PHOENIX

I know it sounds crazy to have this type of 'lock down' but to be honest, I always liked this feature that Delanee's parents always put in all of their homes.

It's great protection for so many things and has helped protect this family from many disasters throughout the years and until I figured out what I could next about Ezekiel and everything, we needed protection until I got the rest of my pack along with others to come and help us.

It has now been a few days since we went into 'lock down' mode and Sundaye has been still worried a little. I don't blame her though. We have both witnessed the wrath and the things that Ezekiel is capable of.

Today, I noticed that Sundaye was sitting in our room most of the day and hasn't come out to eat or anything. She was even starting to worry me.

So I made some dinner and took some upstairs and after closing the bedroom door behind me, I noticed she was still laying on her side in bed with her back faced towards me.

"Hey." I tell her as I place the food and drinks down on the foot of the bed before taking a seat next to her.

"Hey." She replies as she rolls over and then sits up and back against the pillows and head board.

"Listen, I'm sorry about all this. I know this has to seem weird and crazy but, please understand that I just want to protect you." I begin to try and explain.

"I know. It's just that I am scared that no matter what happens, he will always find a way to ruin my life. Like I can't ever escape from my past. My biggest fear in life is being alone and it may just happen if he is still out there." She starts to cry.

"Well...." I started but we were immediately interrupted by Delanee and Neil.

We first hear a knock on the door and then when I answer it and in walks Delanee and Neil, they both have worried and panicked looks on their faces also.

"Alpha. Luna." They both address us.

"What is it?" I ask them.

"The Elders wish to see you tonight at the hall." Delanee announces.

"Okay." I reply feeling a little frustrated for being interrupted.

"I'll go with you." Sundaye says.

"Alright." I smile at her.

"And don't worry, none of Ezekiel or his pack has been near us yet." Neil says.

"Good." I reply and then we make it to our cars and then start driving our way to the hall while Delanee and them tried making the house look more 'normal' again.

After arriving to the hall and being escorted into the office of the head Elder where a few other councilmen were sitting and waiting along with Ezekiel?

"What the hell is he doing here?!" I seethed while glaring at Ezekiel who had a grin on his face.

"Please sit." The head Elder offered.

So I sat in the chair across from him and next to Ezekiel.

"So what's this about?" I ask while trying to keep my cool and while having Sundaye sit on my lap.

"Ezekiel here has made a proposal to us." The head elder began.

"And what's that?" I ask pretending to be interested.

"He has suggested for the both of you to compete in the Alpha games this year. Winner takes the title as usual except if he wins, he claims your title along with a few other terms." He states.

"What other terms?" I ask.

"That's to be discussed between you both." The head elder states.

"So why are you agreeing to this when you know it's ridiculous?!" I ask him.

"Because I believe it'll be great entertainment. If you think about it, it will be." He says. "To have the undefeated Alpha fighting for his title with his biggest rival? Who WOULDN'T want to see that?"

"So it's no longer about people that are deserving of trying to get the title, it has become more about pure entertainment and people filling the seats? Isn't that going against everything that's based upon our kind's existence?" I ask him confused.

"As far as I'm concerned, I make the rules. You on the other hand can interpret this however you want to but in all honesty, this isn't about entertainment. You DID after all,  happen to kill Sundaye's family without coming to us first. Therefore, you have forfeited your place as a judge and made us all question you as an Alpha. So when he came here and offered to NOT press charges, in exchange to fight the best Alpha we had for the title for all the games, we took this as an opportunity to keep us from being investigated and questioned as to whether or not, I am fit myself to being the head elder." He states.

There was nothing I could say he was right. He could have tortured me or put me to death for what I did but right now, I don't know if rather this will be better or not.

We all sit there in silence until it is broken.

"Please. Don't make them do this." We all stop and look at Sundaye as we hear her just say that.

"What was that?" The head Elder said.

"It was my fault that my family was killed. They have been abusing me for years as well as Ezekiel and I just couldn't take it anymore, so I killed them. Eziekiel however wasn't there." She says.

"What are you doing?" I mouth to her.

"Why did you not seek for help from us before?" The head elder asks her.

"Because I was afraid of no one believing me. They got away with so much throughout the years I just became fearful of anyone believing me." She states. "So if you're going to punish anyone, punish me." She says with tears falling down her cheeks.

Does she know or even realize in what she's doing?

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)