Chapter Eighteen

We were riding back to the hotel when I realized what day it was.

“It’s the fourth of July!” I said, sitting up straight.

“Yeah. And tomorrow will be the fifth.” Harry said.

“Are there fireworks tonight? I need to see fireworks.” Harry laughed.

“Why would there be fireworks?”

“It’s America’s birthday!” I exclaimed.

“It’s America’s birthday!” he said in a terrible impersonation of me.

“Shut up.” I said, trying not to laugh.

“I forgot that today was apparently a holiday.” He said in a normal voice.

“You better start remembering; won’t you be an American citizen when you marry Claire?”

“I guess.”

“Do you want to come with me? I’ll ask the guys too.” I said, looking at my phone to find out where the fireworks were going to be held.

“If it means this much to you. I’ll go.”

“Yay! Now I just need barbeque and today will be perfect.”  Harry pulled over and I looked up to see a food truck. ‘World’s best barbeque’ was written on the side. I smiled at Harry.

“World’s best huh? I guess we’ll just have to test it.”  Harry said with a smirk.

I laid down the blanket and Harry immediately got on top of it.

“Did you bring the sparklers?” I asked. Harry shook the box. I sat down next to him.

“A lighter?” Harry dug in his pockets. The flame flickered and then he dropped it.

“Ow!” he yelled.

“What?” I asked, stomping out the flame.

“I burnt my fingers.” I laughed.

“It’s not funny!” he said. Even in the dark I could see his white teeth flashing as he smiled. I picked up the lighter.

“I almost don’t trust you with the sparklers now.” Using the light from my phone I opened the box and got two out. I handed one to Harry.

“Be careful.” I said as I lit it. I lit mine and we sat there for a couple seconds staring at the sparks fly. They quickly fizzled out.

“That’s it?” Harry asked.

“I guess so. Normally I go with some people from work and we all run around while the kids stare at us while we’re crazy.” Harry laughed.

“I’m assuming you’re all drunk while you do this.”

“Of course.” A fire work went off and I dropped my sparkler.

“It’s starting!” I said. Harry and I watched the fireworks go off, ooing and ahhing appreciatively. Too quickly it was over. Harry and I slowly got up and I grabbed the blanket.

“It’s too bad the guys couldn’t come.” I said.

“Yeah, they said fireworks were for kids.” I snorted. “That’s what I said.” Harry said. We walked in comfortable silence for a couple feet.

“This way.” Harry said, putting his arm around my shoulders to guide me. I didn’t say anything and he left it there until we got to the car. We got in and one of the albums blared from the speakers. Harry quickly turned it down.

“Where was I in your One Direction lesson?”

“Story of my life.” I said, yawning. Harry found the track and started talking. He had been playing all his his albums claiming that I was in ‘need of an education of music’. I leaned my head against the window. His voice was soothing and before I knew it I was asleep.

“Emma.” I opened my eyes and found myself being carried by Harry.

“What?” I asked sleepily. I hated to admit it but I loved that this was happening right now.

“I need your room key.” I reached into my pocket and pulled it out. I handed it to him and then wrapped my arms around his neck almost falling back asleep. I heard my door being opened and then he gently put me down on my bed. He took off my shoes and then pulled a blanket over me. I wanted to beg him to stay, just to do nothing other than sleep in the same bed with me but I stayed silent and rolled over. I felt him sit down on the bed but I kept my eyes closed. He sighed and then got up again.

“Good night Emma.” He said softly before leaving the room. I fell asleep and dreamed of green eyes and blindingly white smiles.