Chapter Twenty

Stupid Emma, Stupid, stupid, stupid Emma. Why did I think things were changing? Why did I think that Ms. Richmond might actually give me that promotion? Why did I think I might actually be treated with respect?  I slammed my laptop shut and covered my face with my hands, hot tears of frustration and anger leaking out. I felt something on my finger and looked. I was still wearing Harry’s ring. Harry. I tried to deny my feelings but I had fallen for him hard. It wasn’t fair, none of it was. Everything from the past couple weeks resurfaced and I started sobbing harder. It was all too much to take. I made my way over to my bed and curled into a ball, sobbing until I fell asleep.

I woke up to a pair of green eyes staring at me. I jumped and almost fell off the bed.

“Jesus Lord.” Harry reached out and caught me and brought me back on the bed. I sighed and sat up, rubbing my eyes. “Did you have to do that?” I asked.

“I wanted to talk to you but you were asleep.”

“How’d you get in?”

“Your door was unlocked.”

“Of course it was.” I lay back down on my side so we were facing each other. “What did you want to talk about?” I asked quietly.

“I saw what she did to you.” I looked away. “She can’t do that to you. It’s not right.”

“She’s my boss.” I said quietly, like that explained everything.

“She’s a tyrant. I can’t stand her.”

“You don’t have to work for her.”

“I still hate her. She should be reported or something. She can’t do that to her employees.” Harry’s voice grew louder with every word and he still looked angry. Tears pricked at my eyes again but I blinked them away quickly. “You shouldn’t cry over her either.” He said, almost whispering, suddenly gentle.

“I just get frustrated.” I said quietly, my fingers tracing the flowers on the spread. “I do everything she asks and more but it’s never enough.”

“Why do you still work for her if you don’t get any respect in return?” We had moved closer while we were talking and our faces were only inches apart. He looked worried, his usual smirk replaced by a thin line.

“I don’t know.” I answered truthfully. I slowly moved away from him. His intensity worried me. I didn’t need him getting involved. He already knew too much about me.

“Let’s do something.” He said suddenly, sitting up. I sat up with him.

“Like what?”

“Go to a baseball game.” I raised my eyebrows.

“Why?”

“Well I’ve been thinking-”

“Oh no! Not again!” I teased. He glared at me before continuing.

“If I’m going to be an American citizen I should at least go to one game of the country’s pastime.”

“Okay. Have fun with that, I have work to do.”

“It’s the Angels against the Yankees.” Harry pulled two tickets out of his back pocket.

“Really?” I snatched the tickets out of his hands and examined them. I used to go to every Yankees home game with my sister when we were younger. I still went whenever I could.

“The guys won’t go with me…” he trailed off and I looked at him. I wanted to go, more than anything but I had work to do.

“I want to…but I have to work.”

“Please?”

“She threatened to fire me if I didn’t finish my work.”

“I can talk to her.” I thought about it.

“What the hell.” I said. “Let’s go before I change my mind.” Harry smiled and that made it worth it.