Chapter Thirteen

I rolled with the wave, water pushing and pulling me in a million different directions, I tried to hold my breath for as long as I could when I finally stopped. I swam towards the surface, black dots already swimming in my vision and started sputtering as soon as my head was out of the water. I took big gulps of air, trying to clear my lungs of the water.

“Emma?” I turned and saw Harry paddling towards me on his surfboard. My legs felt like lead and I went back under the surface before frantically swimming back up, coughing the whole time. I started swimming slowly towards him and we met in the middle. I hung on his surfboard for dear life, catching my breath.

“Are you okay?” he asked. His curls were plastered to his head, making him look 5 years old as he looked at me with concern.

“Fine.” I managed, “Never better.”

I started swimming towards shore with Harry beside me. My head went under a few times and I swallowed enough seawater to never want anything salty again. Finally I reached the shore and took two exhausted steps before falling on my hands and knees and vomiting up the seawater that I had just swallowed. I felt fingers gently pulling my hair away from my face as I heaved. When I was finished I stayed still, breathing heavy. I was shaking and I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

“I hate surfing.” I said. I heard Harry laugh behind me.

“I kinda figured that.”

“Shut up.” I groaned, even though I was smiling. I managed to stand up and Harry brought me a towel and wrapped it around me. His eyebrows were furrowed and his mouth was turned down.

“Don’t do that again.” He scolded, like I was small child.

“I won’t.” I said, smiling weakly. I looked behind him and watched the other guys still surfing. Zayn was sitting on a surfboard wearing water wings and a life vest watching the guys as they tried to outdo one another on their boards. Harry glanced behind him.

“I’ll take you back to the hotel, just let me tell the guys.”

“I’m fine, you don’t have-” I was cut off my Harry turning back and glaring at me.

“You almost drowned and you just barfed, you are you to go back to the hotel to recover.” He said sternly.

“Yes sir.” I sat in the sand while Harry grabbed his board and paddled out to talk to the guys. I coughed, still clearing traces of water. He came back and before I adverted my eyes.

I had tried not to stare at his abs and muscles and tattoos, it wouldn’t be very professional of me, even though I really wanted to. He thankfully grabbed a black t-shirt and put it on before offering his hand to me to help me up. I grabbed it and slowly stood up. I followed him to his car, my head down and feet stumbling over themselves. He opened the door for me and I climbed in. he went around and started the car.

“Thank you.” I said.

“No problem, let’s just not make this a habit, me saving your life all the time.” He said, shooting me a smirk.

“Excuse me!” I said, my mouth open in pretend shock. “I was fine!”

“Whatever, Miss. Knight.”

“Shut up Mr. Styles.” I said, hiding my smile behind a corner of my towel.