Chapter 13

Cass's POV:
We arrived and Owen had told me to keep my eyes closed, so I did. He guided me out of the cab.
"You can open your eyes now." We were standing in front of the same restaurant that my dad and I had taken that Slitheen to a couple of years ago.
"You said you never got to the dessert last time you were here so..."
"You remember that?" I know I had only told him yesterday, but we talked about so much. I didn't expect him to remember such a little thing.
"Yeah, the dessert here is great and I thought you might want to try it."
"Thank you!" I pecked his cheek, grabbed his hand and dragged him to the entrance.
"Table for two." Owen said to the doorman, he nodded and told us to follow him. We were sat by the window, it was a starry night. I stared out the window.
"I wonder what he's doing now." I mumbled, not really expecting a response.
"Who?"
"My dad, I wonder what he's doing and who he's traveling with. I just hope he finds someone, he shouldn't travel alone."
"Does something happened when he travels alone?"
"There's a demon in all of us, and sometimes we need someone to help us fight that demon. And he has more demons than most."
"I'm sure hell find someone." He smiled reassuringly at me and I smiled weakly back.
"I'm just worried about him, that's all. But... we are here to celebrate, aren't we?" I smiled at him and he smiled back just as the waitress came with menus for us. I was about to open mine when Owen snatched it out of my hands.
"Why did you do that?"
"I'll order for you, I wanna see if I can guess what you like." He then waved a waitress over and pointed in the menu, she nodded, wrote it down and walked away.
"What did you order?" He just shrugged his shoulders.
"Come on, tell me, pretty please?" I said putting on my puppy eyes.
"You'll see when the food comes." I stared at him in shock.
"What?"
"You are the first human, except Sigríður, that have been able to ignore the puppy eyes."
"I guess I'm to good." He smirked at me. I just rolled my eyes and smiled back.
We waited for another 5 minuets before a waitress came over with our food, she put down a plate in front of me.
"Mac'n cheese!"
"I take it that you like it then." He smiled.
"I love it! You really are good with guessing."
"Can I tell you a secret?"
"Um, sure." He leaned over the table and I did the same.
"It was hell a difficult to ignore your puppy eyes."
"But you did it." I smiled.
"Yeah, I guess I did." He smiled back.
We ate and talked and for dessert I let Owen order again, which turned out to be a very good idea. I got vanilla ice cream and brownie, and so did he.
"Thank you for taking me out tonight, I really needed it."
"Well, anything for my new apprentice." He smirked at me and took my hand in his entwining our fingers. We walked down the street chatting.
"HELP!!" We glanced at each other and ran towards the sound. Oh man, I'm glad I decided not to wear heels.
"What are you then?" I asked the creature, it was obviously an alien. The creature growled and started moving towards me , the woman it had been trying to attack ran away. Owen shouted after her.
"Get to a hospital!" And then he turned his attention to me.
"What are you doing? You're gonna get killed!"
"I was trying to get its attention so the woman could get out. What is this thing?" I kept my eyes on it, but before Owen could answer it attacked.
"Look out!" Owen yelled as I dodged the attack.
"Yeah, Thanks, I wouldn't have thought about that otherwise." I replied sarcastically.
"How about you help me instead eh?" He didn't hesitate, we fought the creature and luckily for us we won.
We were panting.
"Now, what the hell is that."
"That's a Weevil."
"Oh, So that's how they look. Good to know."
"Come on, we gotta get him in before he wakes up." I nodded and took its feet, while Owen took its arms.

~Later in the HUB~

"Holy cow this thing is heavy."
"Yeah, they're not exactly light."
"Cass, Owen, what happened?"
"This weevil attacked a woman, she is fine thanks to Cass. She was amazing."
"Thanks Owen." We put the weevil down, witch was a big mistake. It jumped up and went for Owen.
I grabbed him in a choke grip and held on until he fell to the floor.
"You killed it?" Jack looked at me in shock."
"No, It's just a trick I learned on an island in the North China sea. It's very effective. But we need to get it into a cell so I can wake it again. "
"You want to wake him?"
"Yes, if I don't, this..." I gestured to the limp weevil. "Become permanent. It has to be woken within 3 hours, after that it's to late." I grabbed the legs again and looked to Owen, who grabbed his arms again and we carried him down to the cells.
"You have to be ready with the door." I said to him, he nodded.
"I just need to find the point..." I found it and the weevil gasped for air and I lept out of the cell, Owen locking it behind me.
"Like that." I said looking at Owen, he looked back at me and we started laughing.
"Some way to celebrate eh?"
"Yeah, well the dessert was very good." I laughed, and we started walking out of there.
"You think you could teach me that move?"
"Sure thing Owen, but I think that will have to wait for another time. I'm tired and we have to get back here early tomorrow, so that I can start my training."
"Fine, I'll have to take a rain check on that then." I laughed at his comment.
"Yeah, I guess you do." We came out in the main area of the HUB.
"I never got the chance to ask, why are you both dressed so nice?" Jack looked at us, Owen was about to answer but I was quicker.
"We were celebrating, both my new internship and my moms birthday. I do it every year, but I shouldn't do it alone. One year I drank so much I almost threw my self off a cliff."
"Oh, I see." Jack looked at me and at Owen, and Owen just nodded.
"I'm tired, shall we go Owen?" I said holding out my arm.
"Yes we shall." He answered and took his arm in mine.
Once we were out on the streets again Owen stopped me.
"Today's your mother's birthday?"
"Yeah..."
"You have never talked about her before, is there any reason why?" He asked me carefully, as if he was asking an unstable person on the brink of collapse.
"My dad and I, never talk about mom. The only one that knows all I know about her, is Sigríður."
"I'm sorry, I didn't know. And it's none of my business. Come on, let's get home and get ourselves some sleep." He smiled one of his genuine smiles and I returned the gesture.
The Cab-ride was spent in silence, not an awkward silence, but a peaceful one.

"When do we have to get up?" I asked tiredly.
"At 07.00 at the latest." He answered and I groaned.
"That early?"
"Yes, that early." He laughed and I half smiled back before turning around and going to bed.
"Night Cass!" He shouted after me and I could hear the grin in his voice.
"Night Owen!" I called back and walked into my room.