Too many what if's

Dinner this evening had been quite. Even Mae found herself awkwardly glancing between her clearly upset mother and worried father. She wondered what it was like to be an adult and have all these arguments, it was something she didn't understand. As soon as her mother came waltzing into their shared bedroom in floods of tears Mae had asked her what was wrong and cuddled her to make her feel better. Nellie had just said it was adult stuff and she wouldn't understand as she was too young.

It was frustrating for Mae yet she knew better not to ask too many questions. She felt it best just to hug her mummy and smothered her face with sweet kisses that seemed to make her eventually crack a smile.

It was late now. Mrs Lovett was busy washing the dishes while Sweeney stood beside her in silence as he dried them. Every now and then he would glance towards her seeing her eyes fixated on the job in front of her and could tell she was still hurt. He never wanted to make her think that he was disgusted or repulsed by her. Yet she seemed to think he was, he was just shocked by this whole situation with Andrew. That was all.

Yawning into both hands Mae kissed her mummy and daddy goodnight and headed off to bed. She was so tired after their busy day at the market. She just wanted to curl up into that huge bed waiting for her, and drift soundly to sleep.

As the door to the bedroom closed Sweeney thought maybe now was a good time to try and talk to Mrs Lovett. He wished he didn't get this nervous feeling in his stomach when he was around her, but he guessed it must be butterflies too. He loved her after all.

"Nellie...."

"Don't" she stopped him still not bothering to look his way. She was still rather sore about earlier, it hurt her more to see the look of horror in his eyes when she told him Andrew used to be a client of hers. She felt even more disgusted towards herself knowing she has slept with his supposed friend.

"I didn't mean to upset you" he said softly watching her as she pursed her lips a little while scrubbing at the pots and pans.

"I will deal with Andrew, In fact I went straight to the courts after we talked and spoke to him" now her eyes landed on him and he noticed the fear there and the way she gulped anxiously. "He won't upset you like that again....whatever he may have said..."

"You have no idea" she whispered looking aimlessly to the ground. "Being called cheap an told I'm nothin' but a speck of dirt...all because I tried to keep my daughter alive....e'm touchin' me because he thinks he has a right...you ave' no idea what it feels like to be looked on as scum..." she didn't cry. Not a single tear formed in her eyes as she said this. All he noticed now as she looked at him was pain, raw pain.

Andrew touched her? Said all this? He could feel his jaws tightening in fury at just the very image of him doing all this to her. He hated Andrew more!

As she dried her hands on the towel below the sink Sweeney grabbed her shoulders and stood in front of her looking into her eyes. "Don't listen to him, I told you how important you are and right now I need you to hear me and only me when I tell you you're not worthless, you're beautiful Nellie you have a beautiful soul and no one can take that from you ok?" He was stern yet still kind, although the grip on her shoulders was a little rougher then normal. However she knew he was intentionally trying to hurt her, he just had always been a little rough  around the edges even when holding her.

Nodding slowly she parted her lips to speak yet she didn't quite know what to say. For a moment she just stayed silent taking his words into account. He hated seeing her so afraid and hurt, he wished he could make her feel happier, make her feel beautiful.

Lifting her chin up slowly Sweeney looked into her eyes before moving closer, his body gently pressing against hers. Her eyes flickered down towards his  lips as he leaned in to gently claim their lips. Closing her eyes as his lips danced slowly above hers Mrs Lovett felt suddenly relaxed. His lips were soft and warm and moved slowly over her own in such a loving way. Her heart skipped a little as they kissed sweetly. His hands settled on her waist as he depended the kiss before running his large hands up her back slowly causing her to shiver in delight at his touch.