Chapter 7-Connor

I pull into Evan's driveway at exactly noon as instructed through email. As usual, I honk, and Evan comes to the door. Today, he's wearing a blue striped polo shirt and dark jeans. His hair is still damp from his usual morning shower, giving it a cute shine to his appearance. I smile when I see him. I get out of the car, we do our handshake and he gets in the passenger side. Immediately I begin coughing up blood and delicate apple blossoms. He angrily slams the door. "Ev, what's wrong?"

"You're coughing again. Don't worry about me. There's blood everywhere."

"Evan, I've been struggling with this since mid-January. You're having a bad day. You look like ass. What's wrong?"

"Damn mum is gonna start taking classes at night until, like, midnight, so I'll never be able to see her anymore. Not like I care cause I get to spend time with my best friend, but I still wanna see her occasionally. Maybe I should just die, then she'd care." I put my hand on Evan's shoulder while starting up the car. "See, the thing is, I'd care. That has to count for something. You still wanna stop by A La Mode on our way like I promised?" His face lights up at that and we're on our way.

We grab a couple of scoops at A La Mode and then before we can process how fast it's gone through our chats and music, we're there at the orchard. Evan hands me the wicker picnic basket of sandwiches and drinks and gets out, and I follow. We sneak over the fence and we get over just as a vine-like string of branches and flowers shoots out of my mouth. I choke and vomit it all up, along with maybe a cup of blood. It's getting worse. I likely only have a few months left. I'm genuinely scared, but once we reach the clearing and set up our lunch, I feel much better, and not even like I'm going to have another episode. I begin to run towards the tallest tree in my sight. Evan sprints after me, laughing.

I jump as high as I can and grab the lowest branch. I run my feet up the side of the tree and begin to climb. Evan mimics my movements and we silently (except for the occasional laugh) climb the tree together. It feels like I could be in love like this forever, even though he doesn't feel the same. I get to the top first and shout down to Evan, "The view is amazing from here!" He shouts back,

"I'm almost there! Can't wait to see!" As he reaches me, he says,

"I wonder what it would be like to just..." My heart starts pounding, "...let..." I begin to panic, "...go." Evan's hands slip loose from the branch and he lets himself fall forward. I scream more hysterically than I ever have and I race down the 40-foot tree as fast as possible. I slip on the last branch down and fall out of the tree flat on my face like an acorn, lift my head, and look around for Evan. I spot him and run, crying, coughing, and wiping the blood and tears from my face. I bend down over Evan, crying and coughing intensely. "Evan, Evan, please be okay. Please be alive. Please. I need you," I sob. The sheer terror and sadness in my voice is something I will likely never be able to express. For a moment, there is nothing. No response. He fell out of a 40-foot tree. What do you expect? Now you're going to die with no friends, completely alone. His eyes flutter open gently and he tries to lift himself up but winces in pain. "Agh, my arm."

"Oh thank god. Are you okay?"

"My fucking arm, Connor. I think I need to go to the hospital. I can't feel it." I nod. Luckily, though I don't look it, I'm a pretty strong guy. I pick him up and race to my car, where I gently set him in the passenger seat. It's unnecessary considering he didn't say anything about his legs, but it's the gesture that matters, I guess. I hit the gas and we speed towards the hospital, somehow not getting stopped the whole way.

I rush in the ER door carrying Evan (again) and run up to the front desk. Hey, my... hhhhh... friend fell out of a tree and broke his arm... I think... Could we please have him checked out as soon as possible? He's in a lot of pain."

"Sure thing. We just need to get some information entered here..." Evan gives the woman the necessary information and we sit for a little bit until Evan is called back. I pull out my phone and fire off an email.