Chp 18

Mia's POV
A few days have gone by since my breakdown. I'm feeling a little bit better but Daddy still insists that I need a therapist. I really didn't want one. My old mom always used to say that therapists are doctors for crazy people. I didn't want Daddy to think I was crazy. Nevertheless, he didn't listen to me and got me one anyway. Today is gonna be my first session.
     I've spent my nights at Neverland sleeping either in Daddy's room or in Paris's room. I couldn't stand sleeping alone at night. Every night I would try to come up with an excuse to make myself some room in their beds. I would usually go in late, so they'll be too tired to fight me on it. Paris was slowly but surely taking on the role of my big sister really well. When she's home, I stick to her like a shadow. I can tell she gets annoyed sometimes but she never gets mad at me for it.
     Prince and Blanket are more protective. We don't like doing any of the same things but they always make it a point to make sure that I was ok. They'll check up on me every now and then. They tease me by calling me Princess. According to them, I could get away with anything in this house. They say Daddy never punishes me as bad as they did with them but I don't believe that. I've technically been on punishment ever since I got adopted! Daddy says Prince and I remind him of Auntie Janet and himself.

Michael's POV
     Mia woke up in my bed again this morning after lots of crying and convincing last night. She's been having a hard time adjusting to her new space, especially at night. I can never say no to her, but I managed to do so 2 or 3 nights. But then she somehow managed to sleep in Paris's bed those nights. Paris didn't have the heart to say no to her either, no matter how annoyed she got with Mia.
     She'll find almost any excuse to stay out of her own room at night. One night she came in complaining that her bed was broken from all the jumping around her and TJ's kids did. And of course I knew it wasn't true. But if she was willing to come up with an elaborate story, just so she could sleep with me, I wasn't gonna say no. Another night she came in saying her room was haunted. Now, I love my share of spooky and haunted stories. But when it's 2am and you have rehearsal the next day, its not cute.
     The worst was last night. I refused to let Mia sleep in mine or Paris's bed. Simply because I didn't want to coddle her any longer. She was getting too comfortable with having everything her way, and I'm not ok with that. After lots of crying she finally fell asleep. I stayed with her till she did. But around 4am, she came into my room and woke me up crying. She was sobbing so hard I couldn't understand what she was saying. And then I noticed the wet spot on her pajamas.
     My 10 year old was so scared of being alone in her room, that she literally had an accident in her sleep. And that's when I realized that this sleeping issue of hers is much more serious than I thought. It wasn't just a fear of the dark or ghosts. Something was wrong. I forced my tired body to get out of bed. I didn't have a choice. Daddy duty calls.
     I ran a warm bath for Mia, while I went into her room and changed her sheets. I grabbed a fresh pair of pajamas for her and went back into my bedroom suite. Once she was all clean and dry, I didn't have the heart to force her into going back into her own room. She was clearly exhausted, as was I. I tucked her in right next to me, and we were both out like a light.
     I woke up this morning to Mia sprawled out on my bed. Her left foot wrapped around my neck, and her head placed on my stomach. What does this girl do in her sleep? I gently removed her foot from this chokehold she had me in, and helped place her head back on the pillow.
     She opened her eyes for a split second, but I patted her back till she drifted off into sleep once again. I checked the time and it was still pretty early. Only 6am. God I need more sleep. But I had to rehearse for an upcoming performance. Ugh! Between work and being, what feels like a father to a newborn, it's been really hard to get enough sleep these days.
     As I made my way downstairs to start my day, I realized I was the only one up. I made myself some coffee and sat down to check some work emails. I had about an hour before I was scheduled to show up for rehearsal. I checked my calendar and remembered that today was Mia's first therapy session. I hired this highly recommended therapist. She was young but her recommendations seemed promising. Lord I pray it goes well. There are so many things I need to talk to the therapist about. Hopefully I'll be back in time to have a meeting with her.

To be continued