Chapter 19 - Creativity

In my bedroom, I pulled my hair up in a messy chignon and intently crossed to my wardrobe. I conceded that devastating may have been too strong of an adjective, but still I had to do something.

I selected a red cotton dress with delicate lace sleeves and changed into it quickly, fixing the knee length skirt with nervous anticipation. It was silly, I knew it, but after I had just blurted out to the man that I miss him when he leaves, I needed to do something to regain my dignity and possibly make him admit the same. I couldn't leave the scales shifted so much in his favor for long and I also didn't want to be the only one saying such foolish things. It would be terrible for my reputation.

I picked up the pile of muted tone clothing I had been wearing and tossed it in the hamper. I had to say I liked the hint of color on such a dreary day. I wasn't usually one for bright hues but it worked. Wryly, I walked back to my dresser and opened the top drawer to find where I kept my pine jewelry box tucked among my stockings. I let out a little giggle as I lifted the long candy string necklace out of the box and placed it around my neck. After a glance in the mirror I rolled my eyes realizing that it didn't matter if I had changed or not for as long as I was wearing such enticing bait he'd be a moth to my flame.

I kept the dress on anyway.

Unfortunately, I had no idea how to seductive, flirty, or even really charming, a fact which did not bode well for the success of my experiment. The only two girls I could think of asking were unavailable as well. One was showing her adoring boyfriend Wammy's from the attics to the stables, and the other had somehow convinced Fritz Erdheim that there were loads more diverting things to do in bed than in the sky. I wasn't about to go consult either of them.

I took a deep breath and opened my bedroom door, wondering for a millisecond if L might have locked me in as a final prank, but the door opened smoothly as I stepped out into the barren hallway. I frowned. Having to seek him out as well wasn't something I really wanted to do. I had expected to open the door and have him already be there, lounging against the wall obviously waiting for me but appearing so bored that it wouldn't look that way to anyone else. That was the normal behavior anyway, but it seemed he was determined to be unpredictable.

Sighing, I headed toward the staircase, checking behind me once or twice to see if he was hiding and preparing to jump out and cause me to scream so loud again that Mrs. C smacked her head on the cupboard door in the kitchen, but I was surprisingly alone during my walk. Could he have known I was planning something devious and barricaded himself in his bedroom or headquarters? I smiled at the thought.

Someone was knocking on the front doors as I reached the bottom of the staircase and still not seeing anyone at all around, I went to answer it.

"Just a minute!" I called, turning the ancient lock and flinging open the door, immediately wishing I hadn't. A scream got caught in my throat as I viewed a tanned Andrew Hargrove smiling back at me. No, no, no!

"W-What are you doing here?" I sputtered, horribly panicked. If L saw him, I didn't know what would happen and I needed to keep that from occurring.

His smarmy smile seemed plastered to his face. "Well, I'm here to see you, Grace! And I must say," his appraising eyes raked my form as I cringed wishing I hadn't changed after all. "I didn't think it was possible for you to be more captivating, but you've succeeded. Although I don't know quite what to say about your jewelry choice, unless you're willing to share."

I clutched the candy necklace in my fist and glared at him. "I meant why are you here? I distinctly remember telling you to leave me alone."

He didn't seem fazed by my rebuff. "And I have!"

"You most certainly have not if you're standing in front of me!"