Chapter Five Part XLVI (ED)

"We're sorry for intruding," Ren and Rose said, bowing at exactly the same time. The werecat just glanced at the two as he sharpened his claws on a nearby tree.

"Yes, please excuse us," Nia said after a few moments of uncomfortable silence. "We have come - "

To disturb our sanctuary? the werecat asked.

"No," she answered. "We have come - "

To annoy werecats?

"No," Niaomi said again, getting annoyed herself. "We have come to - "

Be a bother? the cat questioned, slinking around the tree. Because that's what you're being.

"We have come to find my bondmate!" the girl shouted quickly. As he merely looked at her, she adjusted her volume and continued in a calmer tone, "And we would like to ask for your assistance."

So you're that Brunskulblaka, the cat said in an uncaring tone. I'm Fleetfoot. I guess I'd better lead you to your bondmate. With a large yawn, he stood up and began walking through the forest. Are you coming or not?

Nia gritted her teeth but followed, the rest trailing behind. They spoke among themselves as they followed Fleetfoot through the trees. "Do all werecats act this…"

Ornery? Flair finished Nate's question. It is a cat's nature to think their own importance outweighs just about everyone. Though at times they can come off a little condensing, they're really quite loyal and smart creatures.

I'm contemplating eating you, Flair, Fleetfoot called from the front, his white coat easy to follow in the growing gloom.

The phoenix ruffled her feathers, voice amused. I'm surprised you recognized me.

He looked back over his shoulder. Your scent is still the same.

"Umm, excuse me, Fleetfoot?" Renata called.

Yes, excuse you, was the calm reply as they crossed over some boulders. What is it?

"I was wondering…" the blonde began to trail off, but then doggedly continued, "How many werecats are there? And why don't you interact with other species?"

Have you ever heard the saying “curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back”?

"Yes, but what - "

Curiosity is more likely to kill off you humans before it does us in, Fleetfoot said, shaking his head. We do indeed interact with other species, just in a less obvious manner. What's the point of dying in the first place when you can be just as easily satisfied by doing things the stealthy way?

Ren opened her mouth, frowned, and then closed it. Nathan began to snort in unconfined laughter, but stopped once the girl shot him with a stormy glare. Coughing, he instead asked, "Did werecats come from Alalëa?"

Did you? Fleetfoot asked cryptically, coming to a halt in a small, open space.

"Of course!" the boy replied indignantly. "I was born here!"

And so was I.

"Well, I know, but I meant your kind."

And so did I.

Nate blinked, caught off guard by the werecat's manipulation of their conversation. Before he could think of a clever response, Fleetfoot told them, You all wait here while I gather the others. And without a backwards glance, he shot off into the forest.

"Hermes, he's a sneaky one," the boy grumbled, invoking the god of thieves. "I'm dumbfounded that they weren't created by him."

Nick chuckled as Rose laid a comforting hand on his brother's shoulder. "Well, werecats have a keen oracular sense, and Apollo is the god of oracles."

He smiled, his brown eyes sparkling as he squeezed her hand and whispered, "Thanks, Rosa." Blushing, she hurriedly stepped away and shook her blond hair into her face. Nathan failed to notice, for his attention was directed back towards his sister. "Well, this will all be finished soon."

"Indeed it will be," a voice boomed as Niom Ajihadsson stepped into view.

[Chapter Word Count: 13168]