Chapter Seven

Mitch POV

I steadied my breathing, preparing myself for this next part. Scott looked at me, waiting. Slowly, I rolled up the sleeves of the sweater I was wearing, revealing the unhealed cuts covering my wrists.

Scott grabbed my arm as soon as he saw it. He gasped.

I didn't give him a chance to ask questions before I explained. "After everything happened, it was just a lot for me to handle. I started drinking a lot and hooking up with a lot of random men because I felt so disgusted by myself, and I thought that was the kind of lifestyle that I deserved. One morning, I woke up in some stranger's bed and as I left, I realized that I didn't even know his name. That was the moment when I realized I'd hit rock bottom. I looked for another way to punish myself for what happened with Trevor, and this is the only way I could accurately show how much I hate myself."

Scott was speechless. He just stared at me with tears beginning to form in his eyes. He pulled me into his chest and hugged me even tighter than before.

"Mitch, I love you." He said.

I nodded. "I know."

He was silent for a minute. "No, you don't. If you can be this honest with me then I should be able to be honest with you." His breaths got shaky. It was strange seeing him so nervous. "I'm in love with you. As more than a friend."

Scott POV

I swear the longest pause you'll ever experience in life is the one after you've just told someone you love them. Mitch just stared at me, his eyes wide. Even if he doesn't love me back, I had to tell him. He needs to know that he is important, he is loved, and most importantly, he deserves a hell of a lot better than how he's been treating himself.

"You don't have to say anything." I said finally, when it was apparent that he wasn't going to.

He shook his head, finally snapping himself out of his trance. "Sorry I just thought I might be dreaming for a minute." What? I was confused. "I love you too. I always have."

Now I was stuck in a trance-like state. Was this real life?

"So," I started, "You're saying that we've both been in love with each other for years and just decided to not say anything?"

Honestly, it was a little funny. We both laughed, lightening what had previously been a really dark mood.

"I can't believe this." Mitch gasped.

I shrugged. "Neither can I." I looked down at my hands. "So what does this mean? Are we like, dating?"

Mitch smiled and got on the floor on one knee. "Scott Hoying, will you be my boyfriend?"

I couldn't help but smile at his adorableness. "Of course." I answered. He got back up on the couch and then did something I didn't expect. He leaned in and kissed me...on the lips.

It took me a few seconds but finally I kissed him back. He pulled away much too quickly and looked into my eyes,

"Was that okay?" He asked nervously.

I smiled. "That was perfect," I assured him.

He smiled back. His smile was literally the definition of perfection.

"So," He started, "we're a couple now," he sounded like he was talking to himself rather than to me. "This is going to take a little getting used to."

I shrugged nonchalantly. "We basically acted like a couple before, except without the kissing." I winked.

He blushed adorably. "If we were in a relationship before then I hope it was an open one cause if not then I've already cheated on you...a lot."

Normally I would have laughed carelessly at the jokes he made at his own expense, but now I saw the self-depreciation behind them.

"I wish you wouldn't put yourself down all the time," I said.

He looked solemn for a moment. "Joking is the only way I get through things sometimes," he admitted.

"Well you and I are going to work on your self-esteem big time because I want you to be able to see how absolutely flawless you are."

He smiled at my compliment, but I could tell that he didn't believe it. "Well thank you," he said, "but I've been like this for so long now that it's going to take me a while to start liking myself again."

"Promise you'll try?" I pleaded.

"For you? Anything."