19

Emilia let out a small noise of discomfort as she moved around in the backseat of the car

Emilia let out a small noise of discomfort as she moved around in the backseat of the car. Her side was killing her, but she tried not to show it seeing as she had barely been able to come along for the mission in the first place.

The seatbelt was digging into her side and after another moment of pain and discomfort, she quickly tore the seatbelt off. A small sigh of relief left her mouth and she turned her body so that her feet were up on the seat and she was lying down.

Luther glanced at the girl through the rear view mirror. "You okay?" He asked which made Five instantly turn to look at her in concern. She gave them her best fake smile. "I'm great. Quit worrying and keep your eyes on the road," she told him.

Luther sighed and looked away, but Five continued to look at her. Her eyes flickered over to meet his and he gave her a questioning look as if to ask her if she was really okay. "I'm fine," she whispered and it took Five a moment, but he finally turned back in his seat knowing that it was pointless trying to argue with her about it.

The car came to a stop on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and Emilia let out a sigh of relief before sitting up and going to stretch. She had barely put her arms up into the air before her side erupted in a searing pain.

She hissed out in pain and quickly pulled her arms down while the boys turned to look at her. "I'm fine," she said a little too quickly, but no one questioned her. It was too late to take her back anyways. They were already where they needed to be and Hazel and Cha Cha would be there at any second.

A silence fell among the three and it remained that way until Five finally let out a sigh and said, "You know, I never enjoyed it." Luther and Emilia glanced over at the boy who looked back at them. "What?" Luther asked. "The killing," Five muttered. "I mean, I was. . . I was good at my work, and I. . .I took pride in it. But it never gave me pleasure."

Five sighed and looked away from the two. "I think it was all those years alone," he admitted. "Solitude can do funny things to the mind."

Emilia looked down at her hands at those words. "Yeah, well, you were gone for such a long time. I only spent four years on the moon, but that was more than enough," Luther said.

"It's the being alone that breaks you."

It felt like Emilia had been punched in the gut by those words. She knew exactly what Luther was talking about. If her mental breakdowns as of late weren't proof enough that being alone breaks a person, then she didn't know what did.

"No, it's the knowing you're alone that breaks you," Emilia whispered making the two look back at her. "That feeling of knowing that you're on your own now, that no one would care if you just disappeared. That feeling of knowing that no one is there for you when you get home, that no one will answer your calls, that no one is there to smile at you or make you feel loved. That is what breaks you."