Chapter 2: The death before the kill

A huge slam wakes me from my deep sleep. Seconds later, my breakfast appears on my lap thanks to my father's magic. I roll my eyes, reluctantly grab a piece of the bread and get up. My nightgown trails behind me as I stomp across my room. My eyes dash across the outside world. All is the same; angels flying, everyone smiling and laughing. I try to smile along with them, to pretend everything's okey. But it isn't. For the past month I've been waking up and saying to myself,

        "Today might be the day he dies in my hands, and he sees how wrong he's been.

        But it never happens. Will it ever? Am I strong enough to continue out the task? I think I am, but being in the situation itself is a very different experience. 

        Soon I am in my flowy sleeved, snow white top and white pants, which proabably makes me look even paler than before. I can never be sure, however. We are not allowed to use mirrors. My backpack hangs on the hook attached to my wardrobe. I rip it off, and make sure all my books are there. They are. Slowly, I open the bunker and grab a daggar with a pink hilt and slide it under the books. I don't think, just do. If I'm caught with this, I surely will be expelled, and beat en my father.

        Still I put it in, try to look like nothing happened, and knock on my door twice, signaling that I am ready. The door opens, and I see my father, all shit of him infront of me. 

        His beard is a dirty blonde, casting light shadows on his face. He has is always there dark circles under his eyes and thick eyebrows with the crease in the middle. I imendently tense up. I only hate one person: him.  

        He smiles like our history was a myth. "Hello, Julian."

        "Hello, father." I reply, no emotion in my voice. He won't get a raise out of me. I am not that kind of person. I don't think I am.............

        "Are you ready for school?" He asks, as we walk down the hallway to the grand gold exit at the end. I hear our footsteps echo off the walls and back to me. They inturpret what I feel, lost and alone. And loud, but no one will ever hear me. 

        "Yes father." I say, looking striaght ahead.

        "You don't have to call me father." He laughs, and he makes it seem like there is no ice between us. He is a marvelous actor.

        "Yes father." I repeat. I sound like a broken record. 

        He opens the door and before he speak another word, I am off into the sky, my wings extended. The wind forces itself into me, and I feel free. I don't even bother to look back for my father, because I don't want to see him. I ajust the straps on my backpack so they don't fall off. With a thud I land on a table at the outside eating station.

        The rest of the day passes in a blur, nothing exciting happening. The daggar I slipped in my bag burns in my mind, and I constantly stop myself before I can check on it. I am a nervous wreck for the day, and it isn't until lunch when I sit with my cousin and best friend Maxine that I blow over.

        Maxine has more of a violet coloring in her eyes, with tan skin, light brown hair always in a high ponytail and a sundress. This one was rainbow. She studies me and plops down next to me.

        "How are you ?" she asks, picking up a french fry and dipping it in ketchup. 

        "Fine." I lie, trying to push the idea of telling Maxine about the knife out of my mind.

        "No, seriously here."

        I pause. Maxine knows the truth about my family, I told her when my mother left. She is the only one besides me that knows the whole truth. She thinks it's wrong what father does, but I don't think she would approve of me killing him. She's pure angel. 

        I sigh. "It's okey." I say, looking at her. Before I can stop it, I add, "besides, it'll all be over soon."

        Maxine looks startled. "What?" she gasps. "The Angelics found out?"

        "No......." I admit, weighting what I'm about to say on my shoulders. Finally, I give in. "Not exactly."

        "Tell me." She says, her eyes narrowing. The thing about Maxine is that she has to know everything, all the time. "Please!" 

        I look around. Like ususal, no one is paying any attention to us. I bit my lip. If I tell her what I've been planning, she could possibly tell. She wouldn't be able to help it. But she knows how awful he is. Maybe she'll surprise me. She fights for the greater good. I may not know much, but I know I AM on that side. 

        I whisper so even she can barely hear. "I'm going to kill him."