Chapter 13: Battle of the Gangs

Cat's crazy when it comes to planning. She has everything done and ready, and if you try to mess with her plan: you're better off dead. Danny sits in the corner not listening to anyone, her iPod in again. Cat doesn't seem fazed by her, but I do. She's angry at something, and won't look me in the eye after I asked her about her sleep. I fear I have done something to offend her. Fabian comes in, looking a little more rested. We stare at each other, and I can tell we are both thinking of what happened a few hours ago. Bo sits on the couch, irritable as usual. I put one of Catalina's old and way too big for me sweaters on and sigh. I still feel guilty about Namn. 

        The corn maze is terrifying. You are lost in a bunch of scratchy corn that's at least 15 feet high. I gulp when we finally get lost. Catalina, however, laughs. 

        "We don't have much here, but this is as much fun as anything else." She states, looking at the map; her face lit up like a candle. 

        I still can't believe what Cat told me. She's a cancer survivor. We don't have any diseases in the Angelic world, but mortals are so easy to die. She had to get her leg amputated under he knee. She's always so happy and sometimes (okay most of the time) way too perky that it's scary. She is so brave. And yet, you would never know. 

        Bo pushes past me and makes me fall into the corn. He takes the lead and leads us, according to Danny, the opposite way than we're suppose to go. They have a stare off: dark chocolate brown eyes to startling grey for a while, leaving the rest of us very awkward. To my total surprise, Bo looks down and starts down the path Danny wanted to go. Danny looks a little taken back herself, but she smiles slightly when she thinks we aren't looking and follows. 

        Behind me, Cat whispers "Total couple." I agree and laugh. After only an hour, we have gained all the tokens that we needed, and now have to escape. Bo is next to Danny as they both discuss the map. Fabian comes behind me and scares me. I scream and accidentally smack him in the face. He just laughs along with Cat, who snaps a picture. 

        This must be what it's like to be a normal teenager. I like it. 

        "Oh god." Cat states, her eyes wide and focused behind Fabian and myself. I whip my small head around to see the commotion. Fabian......growls? 

        Cal leads a group of five other men with their face covered by the shadow of their hoodies. I gulp. They look like father's henchmen. Apparently the gang doesn't like them. 

        "Calvin." Fabian spits, like it's poison in his mouth. 

        "Fabian." He says in his Irish accent. "What a surprise! Mingling with your troop! I thought you were too good for them!" 

        This cruel Calvin makes my insides turn. How dare he insult my firends, and I thought he was cute..................

        "Hey!" I yell, startling myself, Fabian and Calvin. "Leave us alone bastard!" Calvin makes a mock gasp tone and makes his eyes wide. 

        "Look who it is: Little Miss Julian." He steps forward. "This shocks me. I thought you were better than to join them."

        "Joint them?" Confusion fills my voice. They make it sound like teams. 

        "Back off Cal." Danny snarls from behind me. "We don't need mundane scum here. You make Valentine look like an angel." 

        I have no idea what she's talking about, but I just go with it. 

        "Plus," she adds, when Cal opens his mouth to reply. "I can always beat you up again. Like the last five times." 

        His face goes red. "Get them!" He whispers, eyes full of hate. 

        Fabian grabs my shoulder and yanks me back. "Go Julie!" He says, holding me back while Bo and Danny take on four of the men, while Cat kicks one on the wrong spot with her metal leg. I wince for the man. 

        "I want to fight!" I protest. I must look ridiculous. I barely hit 5' and I've never fought. I only use knives, and I'm not very good at that. 

        "Please Julie!" There is something hidden in his voice that hits my heart. I nod and take off down a trail. 

        I run blindly, fear creeping through the seems of me. I'm not afraid of his stupid men, just the idea of getting caught. Panic runs through my body like my blood. I want to be fearless, but I'm not.  A realization hits me like a brick. I will always be me. I don't know it I'm happy about that or annoyed. I'm not beautfiul, brave or smart. I'm nothing but a banished sixteen year old. I'm nothing. 

        "Julian." Namn calls, but it's a creepy sigh in the wind. I want to scream out for my brother, but something stops me. What is to say that he's not with Calvin. I can trust no one. I am alone. I run straight into him.