Chapter 17: The End is Here

• Dedicated to Anyone who read this book!

        I ran up the streets, my flashlight swinging wildly from my waist in the rain. Bo and Cat were searching the other side of town. Apparently, Danny had gotten new lead onto Carolyn, and left. She was sorry for leaving us, and she loved us, but she needed to be with her sister. When Cat had tried to stop her, saying there might be a chance Carolyn's dead, Danny lashed out a slashed her with the knife in her hand. As she ran, she screamed, "I'm so sorry!" We need Danny. She's our main fighter, she's our protector, even to Fabian. 

        "Julian!" Fabian yells from behind me. I stop and switch my direction. The rain is freezing, and we had no time to put our jackets on. Danny was fast and resourceful. We couldn't waste anymore time. "Let's check this house."

        I look up. It's abandoned, like ours. Like in a movie, a bat or bird or something flies out of one of the many cracked windows. I shiver. This seems like it belongs to Danny. 

        We walk in, close enough for our fingers to touch, but we don't. I don't want to bring up how he hugged me in his room, but I want to. Really badly. I wonder if he felt the same connection that I did. 

        "Danny?" Fabian calls, making me jump five feet in the air. "Oh, sorry Julie." He says after my reaction. 

        I just nod. I want to find Danny. Her ongoing love for her sister is precious, but she's needed with us. Like Cat said, her sister may be dead. Without Danny, we might be soon, too. The finding of the prophecy didn't help, either. Danny can't be the one to die. I don't know what I would do without her. Though we have just recently became close, she is like a sister. Now thinking on it, I don't know what I would do if any of them died. Well, except for Bo. I would only cry. 

         "She's not here, Julie." Fabian states harshly, coming from an alley. I didn't even notice he left. There is something in his eyes that shows that he's nervous, but the rest of him hides it. 

        "Fabian-" I start, but I stop. Unluckily, he heard me. 

        "What?" He doesn't snap, just asks, which is one of the things I like about Fabian. He rarely snaps, unlike my father. Suddenly, a gust of cold wind pricks at my skin and makes me wrap myself. Fabian comes behind me. I want to lean into him, but I resist the urge. He would probably shrug me off anyway; now's not the time. 

        "Daughter........." I almost scream. No, no no! I am imagining it. This can't be happening. I will wake up, and this will all be a bad dream. I will be with my friends. Danny would be missing. "Daughter!"

             "What the hell do you want?" I scream, loosing it. Fabian raises his hand and backs away. 

               "Um, Julie.......... Who are you yelling at? I have done anything stupid.....yet." 

                "Not you!" I say, fear mixing with the rage. "My father!"

                "Julie, calm down. He's not here-"

                "He is here!" I scream, my voice sounding brittle and broken. "I'm sorry to yell but he is. We need to get out of here. I need to leave you guys. I'm putting you in danger."

                "Julie." Fabian demands. 

                "I have found you! You are quite a wonderful hider, child." 

               I take off through the building, though I have no idea where I am going. My heart is pounding so fast I think it might explode. I can feel everywhere in my body. I grab the knife I stuffed in my pocket and raise it, ready for an attack. Danny's advice flows into me. I cry out. Danny, where is she? Where is my family? My patch quilt family?