Chapter 8: A monster made by God

Welcome back to Lap Of The Gods, everyone. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the chapter. Please remember to COMMENT and VOTE; it means a lot to me. Plus, I like talking to you guys and hearing your opinions. The song is Error by cillia ~XOXO BUTTERBALL~.

________________________________________________________________________________

-Sorey-

It was the middle of the night when I returned to the house where Lila stayed. As I entered the ramshackle building, soft snoring met my ears.

Lila had fallen asleep in an odd position, with her feet propped up against the cracked wall. Her wings, tail, and head dangled off the bed; truthfully, it looked uncomfortable.

I watched her for a moment before I carefully approached the bed. Slowly I sat down on the small space next to her, doing my best to keep noise to a minimum.

I reached out with my left hand and wrapped it around the front of her throat. Despite my intentions, my touch was gentle.

Kindred always did have fragile bones. If I apply a bit more pressure, it would be a clean, easy kill.

I frowned, though, as I noticed something missing from beneath my hand, a pulse.

"What in the world?" I whispered to myself.

Did she...die in her sleep?

Slowly I adjusted my fingers, and it was then that I found her pulse, a gentle thumping underneath my fingertips.

I'm so used to taking lives that I may be forgetting how to find one.

I let out a soft chuckle retracting my hand as Lila began to stir in her sleep.

She slowly opened one blue eye and yawned softly.

"I'm okay, Varuun, go to sleep, boy," she mumbled before rolling over onto her stomach.

My eyes widened as I turned my attention to the large hole in the roof. A large orange eye the size of a boulder stared back at me.

The beast let out a huff causing the house to creak before the large eye disappeared.

Nearby I could hear ground shaking as the beast walked away.

How did it get so close without me noticing? Especially with it being the size of a small mountain.

I frowned as my right eye began to itch and water. Lately, it had been irritated.

That stupid beast kicked up all that dust when he walked away.

I rubbed my eye; for a second, my vision on my right side blurred, then exploded with color for a brief second. Then my eye was no longer irritated.

From what both Lila and Marta told me, this is the eye that was replaced. She said that she used her blood to heal me, and then she wove ether into my body. She's definitely some seer or priestess. It's the only logical explanation.

I sighed as I walked over to my bed on the floor. Lila had offered me her bed but gave up when I told her this was how I usually slept.

Something about this job doesn't feel right. From both the accounts of Lila and that idiotic village elder, she left that village years ago. So why kill her now...

I let out a huff as I laid down and tried to focus my thoughts.

Unless she committed some crime against the Maker itself, there shouldn't be any reason to want her death now.