Chapter 12: Through the rain and the valley

Welcome back to Lap Of The Gods, everyone. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the chapter. Please remember to COMMENT and VOTE; it means a lot to me. Plus, I like talking to you guys and hearing your opinions. Also, remember to listen to the video; it goes with the chapter. ~XOXO BUTTERBALL~

The song is  Harehare YA ver. Sou by Sou

_________________________________________________________________________________

-Lila-

I flailed in the darkness, trying my best to keep afloat as the black sludge-like water tried its hardest to pull me under. It filled my mouth and blocked my nose, chilling my lungs as it stole my breath away. The warmth was stolen from my body, chilling me to my very core.

"Someone, please help!" I gasped out. "Varuun!"

As the darkness crawled into my vision, I saw a pale hand thrust forward, grabbing my own, yanking me up and out of black sludge. I fell on my hands and knees, coughing; the person sat down next to me panting. My eyes widened as I recognized white hair and purple eyes.

"Marta, thank you," I said in between my coughing. As I spat out the black water, warmth seemed to unfurl in my chest; however, my arms and legs still felt like ice.

"What are you doing here? Usually, only one of us occupies this space at a time." She didn't sound upset, just tired.

She turned around, her back facing me as she brought her knees to her chest.

"I just woke up here; I hate this place as much as you do," I rasped her softly.

She glanced at me, a slight smile appearing on her face. "I highly doubt that, but I understand your pain. Still, you should leave this place. Both of us aren't meant to inhabit it at the same time."

"I can't just leave you here. You just told me you hated it," I protested as I held out my hand.

However, she didn't look at me; instead, she adjusted her position, laying her head down on her knees. Her long white hair spilling over her legs and pooling at her feet. Marta let out a low hum as her eyes closed halfway.

"I...will be fine Lila, I just need some time to myself," she assured me softly. Her voice sounded tired and airy, as though it was a struggle finding the energy to speak.

I frowned as I reached out toward her, but she flinched away from me, her face twisting in pain as I froze. "Please, Lila, I would like to mourn in peace," she whispered.

"You're not the only person who misses Varuun; he was my best friend. He was the only person who never abandoned me," I reminded her. As I spoke, my vision blurred as warmth gathered in my eyes. "You've always been with me; you saw me suffering! How much I hated being alone, how I felt abandoned, thrown away! And yet, you just sat there in silence while Varuun tried his best to comfort me and keep me sane," I snapped.

Even though I was hurt and angry, a small part of me knew that Marta had been there with me for years, experiencing almost everything I had. We had different perspectives, but we shared one body.

Marta sighed as she glanced over her shoulder at me. I couldn't help but notice the puffy redness underneath her eyes. She gave me a small, sad smile. "You're right...I have always been with you, and because of that, so many unfortunate things have happened to you. You have been ostracized, attacked,  abandoned, and for that, I am sorry. I never meant to cause you any harm. After all, at the moment, we are the only family we have."