Chapter 10: Remnants and memories

Welcome back to Lap Of The Gods, everyone. I'm glad everyone enjoyed the chapter. Please remember to COMMENT and VOTE; it means a lot to me. Plus, I like talking to you guys and hearing your opinions. Also, remember to listen to the video; it goes with the chapter. ~XOXO BUTTERBALL~

The song is The flowers are of the Sakura trees; the person is you by Team Kaimuta.

_________________________________________________________________________________

-Sorey-

I scowled as I held my sword up, using the light of the nearby fire to examine it. Flecks of white dotted the blade leaving streaks of grease behind.

There's still a few pieces of fat stuck to it.

A cool, almost relaxing night breeze blew, rustling the nearby trees, sending a gentle and pleasant coolness over me. I glanced over at Lila. She lay atop a pile of green leaves that she'd gathered together; her blanket was wrapped tightly around her small form.

Her tail was the only part of her that she hadn't tucked away. It sat stretched out across the ground, its fish-like scales glittering in the firelight.

Even though I offered her bedding, she decided leaves were a more comfortable option. I don't think I'll ever understand Kindred.

I returned to cleaning my sword so that the animal fat wouldn't cause it to rust and dull. A small smile spread over my face as I examined my sword again after cleaning it for a moment or two. My own eyes stared back at me as the blade glinted.

"That's better," I muttered as I sheathed it.

Across from me, Lila began to whimper in her sleep, her face twisting as her eyes squeezed tightly shut. She shifted a bit; her tail flicked out, coming dangerously close to the fire. I took a deep breath and sighed, letting out a soft huff as I watched her.

Looks like it's time.

Slowly I got to my feet, taking care to avoid the discarded leaves on the ground. I approached Lila, doing my best to keep any noise to a minimum.

I carefully knelt beside Lila. I reached out with my hand, curling it around her throat, bending my thumb, I placed the tip of my claw right on her carotid artery. A tiny drop of blood welled up beneath the tip of my claw where her skin had been scratched. I flinched, gritting my teeth as the marks on my arm lit up, glowing golden in the dim light. Pain flashed through my arm as quick as a whip, causing my entire arm to sting.

Against my will, my grip on Lila's throat loosened, my hand sliding down to my side. It felt unnaturally heavy, like it was being tied down.

My arm won't obey me! What in the world is happening?

I stared at the golden markings with narrow eyes.

These things appeared after she brought me back. She said something about turning me into a temporary familiar.

As quickly as the pain had come, it left the glow dimming considerably until it just stopped completely.

It glowed once before when I first woke up and grabbed Lila by the throat. Back then, these markings glowed, and my grip loosened. It's some type of magic that prevents me from harming her; if I do cause her injury, it looks like that pain is dealt back tenfold.

I glared as I examined my other arm; surprisingly, it was free of the golden markings.

Whatever flesh that black metal replaced ended up covered in those gold markings. So my right eye, my left wing, my right arm, my entire stomach, and chest were fixed with that black metal...