FANTASY

Fantasy simply put, is the opposite of real life. A story that contains series of events that can never happen in real life or have no human explanations.

Generally a successful fantasy story features:

- A magical system

- A well developed world

- A cast of complex characters

- An ultimate power structure or government

- A central conflict

Characterization

Characters should  have special powers.

You can have characters like animals act like people.

Setting

Normally the setting of the story is imaginary or of another world or universe.

Time is anytime or no time. It could be past, present or future or imaginary.

Plot

There are usually surprising twists or developments involving situations that are not possible in our realistic world.

Story should be full of action and follows specific and simple patterns.

The plot starts right out with fast moving action that grabs the listeners interest and keeps it.
Conflicts are usually resolved with great deeds or acts of human kindness related to good and bad/evil.

Theme

Themes can be about good versus bad or evil.
It can use magic or other ideas to achieve the extremely impossible tasks.

There should be an element of fear -
Fear of leaving home
Fear of not having children
Fear of not being loved or giving love
Fear of the unknown

Style

Use of magic or possibly powers that have no scientific bases yet verified by repeatable evidence.

Use of mental powers or technologies that are not possible or not yet discovered.

Tone

The plot should evolve around what it feels to be in a magical world thus the tone should be exploring and alluring. If your story have this and more, then you can call it fantasy.

When you have created a perfect fantasy story in your head or with your imagination, where the work lies is bringing it out on ground and on paper.

Plotting it out a fantasy story in a way that readers can actually see what you are writing is quite challenging and it takes lots of resources, researches and patience to accomplish.