NINE

-----------

-----------

2003:

MRS. MORGAN HAD TOLD LANCE TO STOP SEEING SAM RHEE MANY TIMES BUT THE SON NEVER LISTENED. She was afraid of the kid that used to come to their house often and would tell stories only she knew.

But Lance had a way with his words. She was putting plates on the table as she held a worried look on her face.

Her husband was gone. She only had Lance and she wondered whether he'd leave her too with someone like Sam.

Pamela looked at the clock above the bookshelf filled with classical books that her husband left behind for some reason. She still couldn't get rid of them. They seemed too valuable and Lance liked reading them.

The doors then opened abruptly and Lance entered with Sam following right behind. Pam stood straight and tried to smile but she couldn't hide the worry that crossed her wrinkled skin.

Lance seemed to notice her mood just as well as Sam who stood in the doorway to the dining room. He put his hands behind his back politely and finally addressed Lance's mother. "Good evening," he said so Pam mused.

"Yes, yes, Sam. It's nice to see you," she smiled and then spared one glance at Lance who took his jacket off and motioned for Sam to enter.

Sam read Pam and realized that it wasn't actually her idea to invite him to dinner. It was Lance begging her. "Smells really delicious, Mrs. Morgan," Sam tried to be friendly but he knew all she could think of was Sam beating a man just because the man annoyed him by being racially discriminant.

"Let's just sit down and eat," Lance sighed as he motioned for Sam to follow him to the bathroom. Sam looked at him in confusion. "To wash hands."

Sam quickly nodded and the two friends entered the bathroom. "You could've told me she wasn't the one to invite me to this dinner. You were," Sam commented as he closed the door slightly, knowing Pam felt scared to leave him alone with her son.

Lance raised his eyes up and their eyes met through the mirror. "I told you not to get inside my mom's head," he sassed dully so Sam looked at him dully.

"You know I don't control this as well as I wish I could," Sam mused as he could feel his journal in the inside pocket of his jacket.

Lance then sighed and moved away from the sink so Sam began to wash his hands. "Yeah, sure," he then said as he scratched his eye. "You gotta cut her some slack, Sam. You beat a man who was much older than you."

Sam then looked down at the soap washing off of his hands. As his powers grew, so did his anger. He was becoming more sensitive and reckless and of course Pamela wouldn't like that. "Because he called me names and annoyed me," Sam defended himself.