TEN

-----------

-----------

"THEY TOLD ME YOU DIED," the way Lance spoke sent shivers down Caroline's spine as she held onto Sam's trembling hand. She couldn't really think through their kiss that happened a few seconds ago because of the situation they were both placed in. "Didn't believe it for a second."

Caroline remembered compelling the doctors from the asylum as well as the police so that they'd let Sam go. At first she was hesitant to do so but after learning more about Sam Rhee Caroline knew she did the right choice. "It's not your style to die."

Sam didn't answer. And Caroline knew how hard it was for him to do so.

Lance Morgan was a monster who created even a bigger monster out of Sam by betraying him and putting him into the asylum. Though Caroline didn't know the reason. Neither did Sam. "You're Lance Morgan, aren't you?" Caroline spoke but received a warning hand squeeze from Sam. She paused and then glanced at the man that kissed her.

Lance nodded his head with a charming smirk. Caroline already wanted to punch him. "Why did you run away, Sammy?" Lance then took a step forward as Caroline thought Sam would do something but he seemed frozen. "I thought I told you that that place is the best place for you."

Caroline glared at him angrily but Lance wasn't mocking or being sarcastic. He sounded serious. Though she knew from Sam's journal what a controlling freak Lance was. "Mind your business," the blonde snapped causing Lance to look down at their connected hands.

He saw her ring and then widened his eyes. "A vampire? Impressive," Lance mused as she rolled her eyes. I told him about everything and beyond that. Caroline remembered reading these words and feeling uneasy.

Though she knew Sam regretted that choice. "Are you just gonna stand there?" Lance then asked as he looked at his hand watch. Sam seemed to have stopped breathing as Caroline held his hand in comfort. "Fine by me. But send the blonde home."

"Excuse me?!" Caroline snapped and wanted to step forward. She let go of Sam's hand and took a step but Sam caught her wrist tightly and pulled her back. She snapped her head at him to see Sam staring at Lance angrily.

"She's not names for you to call," Sam said, his tone laced with venom that even Caroline felt. "Why are you here and why shouldn't I kill you?"

"If you wanted to, you would've already," Lance seemed satisfied to finally make Sam talk. He knew Caroline was the one thing to break Sam. "I'm not here to make fun of you or to send you back. I'm here to-"