THIRTEEN

-----------

-----------

CAROLINE HATED THAT SAM WAS AVOIDING HER. Ever since he woke up to see Caroline talking with Lance and actually making deals he got disappointed and left them alone. Of course, the blonde followed him but Sam only said two words to her and those were merely words.

Sam had to understand her too. What Lance told her wasn't something that could have been easily forgotten. Caroline was still processing the thought of Sam killing his probable first love Rae. She wanted to know more but Sam shut her out.

Caroline called him a numerous times the next day but he didn't answer so she decided to meet up with Lance at the Whitmore's Bitter Ball for singles though she didn't consider herself to be one. At least until Sam would flip out.

The Forbes female was waiting patiently by the table for Lance who seemed to be late. She bit her lower lip before seeing Elena be a little clingy to Stefan. Caroline furrowed her eyebrows as she watched them but then suddenly a voice rang from behind her. "What are you doing here?" Sam asked causing her to turn around quickly.

Caroline hadn't seen Sam wearing a suit in a while and he still seemed to pull it off well. Maybe even more than before. "Sam!" Caroline threw her arms around him and hugged him.

Sam pursed his lips with a look as he smoothly placed one hand on her back. She pulled away with an angered face. "You bailed on me last night!" she exclaimed as he let go of her and went to take a glass of champagne. Caroline followed behind, waiting for an explanation.

"I had a headache," was his excuse as he grabbed a glass and took a small sip before staring at her with a cold look.

"Sam, you told me you don't drink," Caroline mused as if that was a warning sign. Sam didn't answer as he looked around the ball. "Oh, okay, I get it now. Your plan to kill Lance went downhill and you're bitter. Well, guess what, this ball is just for you."

Caroline then turned to leave but he grabbed her wrist forcefully and turned her back to face him. "When is Lance coming?" he questioned curiously causing her to act confused but he knew her too well.

In the end, Caroline could only just confess. "I don't know, he is late," she commented with a grumble as Sam sighed deeply before finishing his glass. "By the way, where have you been all day?"

Sam's grip on her wrist went down to her hand as he began to lead her towards the dance floor. He then put his hands on her waist and waited for her to place hers around his neck. "Why are we dancing?" she asked him as they began to sway slightly.