Chapter Twenty-Three

It took me a while, because I am a bit busy starting with school again (not to mention other responsibilities), but I finally managed to finish the chapter. I want to thank Terrance, of course, for giving me yet another plot-twist I barely handled. I can always count on that guy to make things difficult for me...

Anyway, don't let my complaining about Terrance ruin your fun. Enjoy the chapter. It's interesting, I think :).

-=-=-=-

          A knock on the door woke her up; droggily, June opened her eyes and got up. It took her a moment to realize where she was, and another one to notice the bed was empty except for her. Terrance was gone.

          "Miss Vixen, are you there?” said a voice June recognized as belonging to one of the alphas. She wasn’t sure which one though, and didn’t have a clue what his name was.

          Taking a second to compose herself, she relaxed and tried to imagine what Joanne would say, what she would do if she was to be disturbed in her sleep.

          “What is it?” she sneered. “What is so important it is worth my sleep?”

          “I-I’m…” The voice hesitated. “I am terribly sorry, Miss Vixen. But… there’s somebody downstairs… A visitor…”

          “And?” Why did that matter to her? After all, there were enough guards to deal with any kind of visitor. And even though she was in charge of the pack right now, the alphas were still capable of giving orders and leading the other werewolves, weren’t they?

          “Well…” It was obvious June’s angry tone of voice did not go unnoticed. “He said he was in Broadlakes. A-And-”

          “Wait! Broadlakes?” She rushed to open the door. The alpha, a darkhaired, cleanshaven man that was a little older—and a lot less handsome—than Terrance looked surprised to see her. He quickly glanced into the room, immediately noticing Terrance wasn’t there.

          “Where is Mr. T-”

          “He was in Broadlakes?” June repeated. “Wh-Who is he?”

          “He didn’t say his name.”

          “Where is he? I-I must speak to him. Now.”

          The werewolf slowly raised his hand to point to the end of the corridor. “He’s in the mess hall right now, talking to the others.” June wanted to race towards the stairs, but as she passed him, he took hold of her hand. “E-Excuse me, Miss, but I have to ask… This man, is he dangerous?”

          Her first instinct was to pull away her hand and run as fast as she could before her deceit would be discovered. But she managed to compose herself and, taking a short breath, said, “He could be, I am unsure. It may be nothing, but he may be…” She didn’t finish the sentence, for she did not know what to say. If he was a vampire, he would know she wasn’t Joanne—she would be dead. And… if it was the Royal Mage that had somehow made his way into the building…