Simon Says

SIMON Rabbit woke up mid-morning. The warren was quiet and cool with earthy smells wafting by his nose. He yawned widely and blinked several times. His eyes were stinging from the late night he had foraging. He felt a bit run down, too, but it wasn't much to speak of.

Feeling lethargic he sauntered his way out of the network of tunnels to the surface. The bright sunshine made his black eyes sting even more.

He looked around at the grass meadow he'd emerged onto. It was quiet, whereas normally there'd be several family members hopping and gambolling between the bushes and clumps of long grass. Birds tweeted above and the distant road noises gave a background level.

Cautiously he ventured from the warren sniffing intently for any indication of his family but his nose felt a tad runny today, probably the price of a busy night. He hopped around the usual places he'd find his family but he could trace nothing.

He followed the hedgerows along the length of the meadow, fighting the overwhelming tiredness slowing his body and killing his appetite. But depsite the heavy pollen making his eyes weep he saw something- a foot sticking out from under a bush. He hurried towards it and recoiled in horror.

His cousin Clover was motionless on the ground. Her eyes were swarming with flies and small creatures were burrowing into her body.

"Get off!" he shrieked. "Leave her alone!"

He kicked his legs and tried to shoo the flies away but they returned as quickly as they left. Simon's eyes swam as he backed away, distraught. What was happening?

"Help!" he yelled, looking around with fear.

"Someone help! Clover's.... Clover is...." Words failed him.

Then he looked up. More feet. And after that there were more bodies. The entire warren.

Dead.

Simon pulled his unwilling body up to the remains of his family. Some of the bodies had open sores which proved to be a feast for flies. Their eyes were irritated, encrusted, strained. They died in distress and pain.

Simon's chest felt tight; he couldn't breathe well.

"Sad old business," came a voice from beside Simon. He jumped in fright. A deer was looking sadly at the decimated family.

"Myxi going round again, I see." The deer shook her head.

"What... what's happened?" Simon rasped heavily.

"Myxomitosis, dear, must be doing the rounds, it's fatal to you lot," the deer explained.

Simon gaped.

"How did they... die?" he whispered.

"Oh, it's awful," the deer said sympathetically, "usually there's redness and swelling around the nose and eyes. They lose their appetite, become exhausted. There's swelling, ulcers, wounds and in the end... well, you can see."

Simon gaped at the deer and the deer frowned.

"Are you ok? Your eyes look a bit red and... oh," the deer stopped.

Simon felt his bottom lip trembling.

"I'm so sorry, son," she said. "Maybe... maybe find somewhere you can be comfortable when, you know..."

The deer delicately walked away, casting a sad look back at him. Simon gave a wet sniff. He wandered through the bodies and found his mother with his two dead sisters under her paws. He curled up with them and closed his eyes.