Chapter 17: Showdown

Lordom Valley

Y/N POV:

We set up camp near in the settlement, while we wait for Yao to come back with her leaders. Tuka's asleep, resting her head a Itami's lap. I light a cigarette using the camp fire, as I take my fist drag Itami breaks the awkward silence.

Itami: So your dad died too huh?

Y/N: *blows smoke* Yeah.

Flashback

It was just after we drove the dragon away, Tuka is in shock with tears streaming down her face. I grab her shoulders and face her towards me.

Y/N: Tuka! Look at me!

Tuka:...L/N.

Y/N: Tuka, I lost my dad too!

Itami: What?!

Y/N: Listen to me, I know exactly what you're going through! I know your pain and I know what you endure!

Tuka: How....do you know?

Y/N: Because I endure it everyday too!

End Flashback

Itami: When and how did he die?

Y/N: Heart failure, happened around the time we first past through the Gate.

Itami: It's been nearly three months and you still haven't gone home to mourn him.

Y/N: He's already been buried, and I couldn't abandon my mission. But that's the kinda sacrifices we make for our nations right.

Itami: And what did you mean that you know what she endures?

Y/N: *takes drag and blows smoke* I have what she has.

Itami: Wait? You have PTSD?!

Y/N: You don't go through three wars and not have issues. As for my dad I just forced myself to confront the fact that he was gone. Tuka needs to do the same so she can move on.

Itami: Exactly, and when confronted with that reality today she was unable to cope with it.

Lelei: should we try and make her face it again, or should we wait another time?

Itami: No, we can't wait any longer. It's why we brought her here in the first place. And if it comes to it, we'll force her to face it.

Y/N: That's probably our only option.*takes drag and blows smoke* Something wrong Lelei?

Lelei: My magic was unable to have any real effect on the flame dragon. I don't like that .

Rory: *sighs* I can't believe my halberds' blade no effect either.

Y/N: Don't beat yourselves up too much, our rifles also didn't do shit.

Rory: If I can't slice it I'll have to strike it. But it's so tacky to beat one's enemy to death.

Y/N: I'm sure Kuribayashi would disagree with that.

Yao returns to our camp with her leaders and a group of warriors I finish my cigarette. Tuka continues to sleeps on Itami's ruck sack we sit around the camp fire with the dark elf leaders.

Elder: Your Holiness, we humbly thank you for making the long journey to our desolate valley.

Rory: Uh it's not like we came here to see you guys.

Yao: Okay Itami, L/N...Let me introduce you to the greatest warrior of my people. Kurow, Meto, Ban, Fen, Nocko, Komu, Seimi, Nayu. It is an honor for all of us to accompany you on your mission.